Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: HOWTO GUIDE: TrueCrypt on new version of Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO GUIDE: TrueCrypt on new version of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mordak13 View Post
    Yep I did that already but I thought it used to be in the repo. Just wondering.
    nope. I think the problem is licenses. truecrypt is composed of items under like 12 differant types of licenses.

Beans

i have strange problem. I want to encrypt my container with Blowfish-448. There is no blowfish in my truecrypt 6.3a,but on the Net i can see that TrueCrypt supports it. On official web-site i found nothing. Could u help me with configuring Blowfish for TrueCrypt

Beans

I'm a new Ubuntu user here.

I've tried many Linux distributions over my 24 years of working on, with and around computers and I must say that Linux in any form is still no where near ready for the general public. It is crazy to me that everything in a Linux distribution (I'm using Ubuntu's latest version) is so difficult to complete.

My problems started with the installation of Ubuntu. I was attempting to do a dual boot with 2 separate hard drives. Long story short, 6 hours, 2 Ubuntu installations and a rebuild of my Windows MBR, I was able to get Ubuntu on one hard drive without messing with my Windows XP Pro on the other hard drive. I ended up using my system's BIOS Boot options to boot to either Windows or Ubuntu....nothing should be this difficult.

So I'm happy and all is working well until I attempt to upgrade Firefox from 3.5xx to 3.6xx. What a fringing joke...the task on a Windows computer would take all of 30-45 seconds but with Ubuntu I had to search Web sites for instructions and though I finally got Firefox upgraded to the latest version, it took almost 2 hours from start to finish! This is crazy...

Now I'm trying to use TrueCrypt which I have used for years on my Windows computers and so far It's been over 2 hours of terminal codes and compiling and I have to do this with every upgrade? This is insane???

I tried Ubuntu because it was said to be the most user friendly and I wanted to use a Linux based OS for more security on line while banking and such. But all one needs to do is search Google for Ubuntu and you will see that tons of people are asking for help with this or that.

I guess you can not expect something that is free to work without issues....but my time is worth something.

IMO...Ubuntu has nothing over Windows 7 or Windows XP other than it's free. A user should not have to reinvent the wheel every time they need to install or uninstall software....

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep using Ubuntu or not...I'm still waiting for the compiling for TrueCrypt to finish at which time I'm sure another issue will certainly appear.

Frustrated Ubuntu newbe,

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by thejoeyz View Post

Now I'm trying to use TrueCrypt which I have used for years on my Windows computers and so far It's been over 2 hours of terminal codes and compiling and I have to do this with every upgrade? This is insane???

Frustrated Ubuntu newbe,

Joe
    Um, Truecrypt offers a binary for Ubuntu. Get it here. Down load the script for what you want, standard is the GUI version. Next right click on the tar file and click extract here. Click on the extracted truecrypt script, and then click run. click install and it should install fine. It should be in the menu and you click to run. Otherwise open a terminal and type truecrypt.

Almost no one compiles anything anymore, and although trucrypt no longer seems to supply a .deb anymore their system seems to work.

As for your install problem, I am guessing it was a Grub2 problem that kept you from dual booting. Microsoft windows xp pro has a boot loader that can boot Linux, you might want to try that. Personally I haven't used Microsoft products in 7 years so I do very little with dual booting OS's. You might also try using a VM next time. It will let you learn without risking borking your system.

Paul

Exclamation Re: HOWTO GUIDE: TrueCrypt on new version of Ubuntu

PLZ need help. Do you folks know WHERE THE HECK is " Auto dismount " option in trycrypt for LINUX ? STRANGE ! windows has it but linux version does not ! or maybe I am do not know how to fix it. This feature is very important to me as I sometimes forget to dismount my volume.

Thank you for your help.
    Objectivity

Exclamation Re: HOWTO GUIDE: TrueCrypt on new version of Ubuntu

PLZ need help. Do you folks know WHERE THE HECK is " Auto dismount " option in trycrypt for LINUX ? STRANGE ! windows has it but linux version does not ! or maybe I am do not know how to fix it. This feature is very important to me as I sometimes forget to dismount my volume.

Thank you for your help.
    Objectivity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah, but you're thinking like a Windows user, where everything is hard until you figure it out.

With Ubuntu, things are just easier, such as burning an ISO. No Nero to download, not licence to verify; just right-click the file and choose 'burn disk'.

Try using the Update Manager once in a while, and if you want the latest greatest versions before they are considered 'safe', just enable them in Software Sources.

Once you use Ubuntu for a few weeks, you'll get more used to easy solutions for your issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thejoeyz View Post

I've tried many Linux distributions over my 24 years of working on, with and around computers and I must say that Linux in any form is still no where near ready for the general public. It is crazy to me that everything in a Linux distribution (I'm using Ubuntu's latest version) is so difficult to complete.

My problems started with the installation of Ubuntu. I was attempting to do a dual boot with 2 separate hard drives. Long story short, 6 hours, 2 Ubuntu installations and a rebuild of my Windows MBR, I was able to get Ubuntu on one hard drive without messing with my Windows XP Pro on the other hard drive. I ended up using my system's BIOS Boot options to boot to either Windows or Ubuntu....nothing should be this difficult.

So I'm happy and all is working well until I attempt to upgrade Firefox from 3.5xx to 3.6xx. What a fringing joke...the task on a Windows computer would take all of 30-45 seconds but with Ubuntu I had to search Web sites for instructions and though I finally got Firefox upgraded to the latest version, it took almost 2 hours from start to finish! This is crazy...

I tried Ubuntu because it was said to be the most user friendly and I wanted to use a Linux based OS for more security on line while banking and such. But all one needs to do is search Google for Ubuntu and you will see that tons of people are asking for help with this or that.

I guess you can not expect something that is free to work without issues....but my time is worth something.

IMO...Ubuntu has nothing over Windows 7 or Windows XP other than it's free. A user should not have to reinvent the wheel every time they need to install or uninstall software....

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep using Ubuntu or not...I'm still waiting for the compiling for TrueCrypt to finish at which time I'm sure another issue will certainly appear.

Frustrated Ubuntu newbe,

Joe
    not to bring up old threads, but i was trying to get some info on TrueCrypt and found this thread, then I ran across this. The problem is that he has been around what it seems like Windows only environments for 24 years. Everything takes him 30-45 seconds to do in Windows. Maybe it's because he's most likely a windows pro, just like kids that have used it for 10 years, things seem to be much easier when you've used them your whole life.

This is a completely different OS, you can't assume it will work the same way as Windows, or Mac. You need to work with it and get used to the way things work on linux platforms, then it all becomes second nature and then the only thing slowing you down might be your computer's speed when you install/uninstall things, sort of like windows and mac right?

/rant

I do not have access to my kubuntu right now, so I can't check, but does this have an apt-get installation yet? or do I still need to DL from their main site?

-chrcoe

Beans

Do any of you fine folks know where an enterprising gentlemen could stumble across a .deb for TC? I've searched extensively, and I also tried to make my own from source without luck. Frankly, it was my first time trying to build source and I probably messed it up.

I know how to install it, but I want a .deb file too. Is it outside the realm of possibility for someone to make a .deb and upload it somewhere? My email address is my forum username at gmail, if that's easier.

Regards,
    Clay

Beans

FYI, I came across this discussion because I was too looking for a way to install TrueCrypt on 11.10, as it isn't in the standard repositories.

As explained above, the solution is simply to download the installer from the truecrypt website. Took me about 10s to install, works fine.

As for the rant of thejoeyz, although everybody agrees that Linux is different from Windows, and in some way less friendly (I'm thinking particularly about peripherals), you need to be fair. Here's an eye opener: you rant about how you struggled installing Ubuntu on a Windows machine (which is not my experience btw), but you failed to notice that installing Windows on a Linux machine is, well, not possible.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678