Thread: Empty Trash--Number of files deleted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Empty Trash--Number of files deleted

Is it possible to change the alert message,given at the time of emptying the trash,to highlight the number of files to be deleted..
    In windows,when we empty the trash,we get the number of files to be deleted so that if,by accident,user was expecting 3 files,but the message alerts for 30 files,then the user can cancel and check the files from trash before deleting them..
    This is so when sometimes we delete the files from filesystem but forget to delete the same from Trash.On next reboot,these files are still in trash and user just does not remember deleting such files.User deletes 2 or 3 files in this new session and then empties trash,expecting same number(2 or 3)to be deleted,but in fact,the number is the addition of both delete operation..
    Last edited by satish_j; May 28th, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans
    Distro

Re: Empty Trash--Number of files deleted

Okay,can anyone using Lucid Lynx(latest release)tell me the message they receive on emptying trash??
    I think i can raise a ticket in Lauchpad for this...Well,actually,i know it cannot be considered as bug,but it is a feature worth looking into,for future releases...

Vote for my Idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why not look in the Trash before deleting?

I don't have interest in a window telling me the number of files being deleted from the Trash and then having to click Ok or Cancel to confirm the operation. From the lack of responses to your inquiry, I don't think others find knowing the number of files being deleted important.
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2 GHz - 2GB Corsair Dominator - 500GB WD Caviar - EVGA 8600GT - Edimax Wireless LAN PCI Adapter - Samsung 22" SynchMaster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by finlost View Post

I don't have interest in a window telling me the number of files being deleted from the Trash and then having to click Ok or Cancel to confirm the operation. From the lack of responses to your inquiry, I don't think others find knowing the number of files being deleted important.
    Copying "features" of an OS that basically panders to idiots is a path that Linux should not follow.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by finlost View Post

I just think this is a better feature..may be others(like you)do not feel this as important..It basically depends from person to person..But,i do not see any problem in raising the issue in launchpad.May be they too feel this feature as important and add them in future releases.
    All i want to know is whether this is already handled in latest release??

Vote for my Idea

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No it doesn't tell you - though it seems that the trash applet with awn does.

I'd not be putting it on launchpad - if it's not a bug it will be marked invalid anyway. Try brainstorm instead - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

Personally I'd agree with dcstar here - I don't need an OS to tell me what I have in the trash - I know what's there.