Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is maverick going to fix the horrible plymouth for nvidia?

Beans

Re: Is maverick going to fix the horrible plymouth for nvidia?

READ: http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/a...-mode-setting/ (especially near the end)

An SVGAlib backend to plymouth would probably be the best solution, so if someone knows how, it would probably be the best solution. Ysplash used SVGAlib as a backend, and that's why you got decent resolution with usplash but sadly not with plymouth if you weren't using a driver that had kernel mode setting. This would bring the boot graphics back to the quality from when usplash was default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    since I don't use anything but Nvidia I was just reporting what I saw on /.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...crete-Graphics
    Like I said, they never made a discrete graphics chip. Now they never (in the foreseeable future) will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why does poor Plymouth get the slack for all this. Yeh its been around for a while but is still very much new. It is really the video drivers that are to blame too. Ive got Lucid on 3 boxes and have no trouble at all with it. I would be very sad to see it go as ive looked forward to it since Jaunty development.
    Blame the people responsible for the video drivers though. There should however be much improvement with Maverick and the next kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Why does poor Plymouth get the slack for all this. Yeh its been around for a while but is still very much new. It is really the video drivers that are to blame too. Ive got Lucid on 3 boxes and have no trouble at all with it. I would be very sad to see it go as ive looked forward to it since Jaunty development.
    Blame the people responsible for the video drivers though. There should however be much improvement with Maverick and the next kernel.
    You and most of the folks on this thread can't seem to understand that the bugger doesn't work even if you disable the graphics part of it.

The graphics are not an necessary thing at all. Plymouthd has not grahic function. It is instigated by libplymouth2.

I have the graphics turned off on my installs and have "splash" removed from my menu. This does, I will admit, improve things. I can boot.

That you can fob off on the drivers although I see no reason that driver devs should worry about making their drivers fit one particular app.

What you can't blame on the drivers is the 50 to 75 second boot time and the 85 to 300 second shut down time that is taken up by errors from plymouth and ureadahead.

The Ubuntu devs have done a remarkable job in improving the performance of this piece of crap. The are not going to get it to work a whole lot better. Why? Because what they are doing is patching.

If you have a boat made of rust, patches do not help in the long run. They will cause the hulk to sink faster when that inevitably occurs.

I admire their determination, but not the bull headedness to not see that they have just about ruined and LTS and, it appears, this current development stage OS too. This is not a great way to run anything.

This is an insult to all the devs that have worked hard to make a great LTS just to have it ruined by this faulty boot crap. It is an insult to the loyal users of Ubuntu that this thing is continuing into another release.

I am sorry that you have been looking forward to this piece of crap. I have been looking forward to a replacement for my 8.04LTS. Gee I am glad they have their priorities straight. Lets please the folks that want a few seconds of eye candy at the expense of those users who really want a reliable, bootable, OS capable of being shut down.

Makes no sense what so ever and I am really tired of the folks trying to blame everything else but plymouth. Damn straight it is everything elses fault. They ought to scrap the Linux kernel and start over with the priority being the ability to run plymouth. Then maybe we could ave a real OS.

Bunk. If you develop an app, it is up to you, as the developer, to make sure it is compatable with the things it runs on and the depends that you design it to use. That includes drivers which are used by may things that have no trouble with them at all.

Plymouth obviously has a completely alien requirement from its environment than anything else. Inflict it on MS. Get it the hell off my box.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You having problems with plymouth doesn't make it crap. Contact the developers and help them to work on a solution. If you cannot live with the current state I suggest using Karmic or a distribution that doesn't ship with plymouth.

Besides, that's completely off-topic. The question is answered in post #3 - why do we need this pointless anti-plymouth bla bla again?
    Last edited by MacUntu; May 29th, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    You having problems with plymouth doesn't make it crap. Contact the developers and help them to work on a solution. If you cannot live with the current state I suggest using Karmic or a distribution that doesn't ship with plymouth.

Besides, that's completely off-topic. The question is answered in post #3 - why do we need this pointless anti-plymouth bla bla again?
    Mabye we would like to continue using an uptodate ubuntu rather than an obsolete version . telling people to go use a different distro really helps ,someday they might just take you up on that .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Mabye we would like to continue using an uptodate ubuntu rather than an obsolete version .
    If one wants bugs fixed, he or she needs to do something. What kind of testing forum is this where people want something removed just because it's buggy?
    telling people to go use a different distro really helps
    Contrary to ranting in forums that developers usually don't even follow it really helps. And if one isn't interested in fixing Plymouth or using "obsolete" releases of Ubuntu, there's no alternative (other than hacking the system in an unsupported state).
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This is going nowhere fast - keep the trolling out of it please.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    This is going nowhere fast - keep the trolling out of it please.
    My sentiments exactly, but I do agree with Ranch Hand. The Plymouth devs know all about the issues that Plymouth has with proprietary drivers, but so far have only offered patches and work arounds.

Maybe it is grub 2 that is the culprit. My experience with fedora 12 and plymouth was that when I installed nvidia drivers all I had to do was set the "vga=795" kernel flag instead of having to edit this file, that file and that file with grub 2.

I am not a programmer or developer so I can't say for sure.
    | Gateway DX4710-UB301A | Intel Core2 Quad Q6700@2.66Ghz | OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 160 Gb HDD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD |
    | Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti | Windows 7 Professional x86_64 | Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 |

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tad1073 View Post
    My sentiments exactly, but I do agree with Ranch Hand. The Plymouth devs know all about the issues that Plymouth has with proprietary drivers, but so far have only offered patches and work arounds.
    If the developers sat on their assets waiting for the proprietary drivers to catch up all the time, nothing would ever get done.

And wouldn't you know it. Right after posting about how I don't have any problems, I have a problem. Doesn't seem likely that Plymouth has anything to do with the issue I am having though.

Later, Seeker

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast