Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Beans

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

Can't wait either. Even if I honestly can't see my beloved Italy retain the title.

My principal concerns are about Argentina: Milito is a hell of a player (22 goals in 35 Serie A matches this year, 24 goals in 31 Serie A matches in the 08/09 season) and should compete for the Ballon d'or, Messi is outstanding, Pastore will be a big surprise (if Maradona lets him play) and Mascherano is indeed solid.
    The only one that can screw up things is Maradona. By the way, he is already doing it: how dare you leave Cambiasso and most of all ZANETTI out of the team?
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hoping for the Aussies to go far (ripped off by Italy last time) but think Spain will go all the way. Cesc to have a blinder.

Beans

Two teams I'll be rooting for: England and Ivory Coast.
    I think Spain or Brazil will win. Can't wait!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iangould View Post
    I am also waiting for this mega event to start and I think this is the time for England to shine. Even though Beck is not available to them but still they have so many great players like rooney, terry, lampard, gerrard........ in their team. So I would go with England or Spain to be the winners
    It would be great if England won however, even though we have a few "world class" players in the squad they can never play as a team. Other teams in the world cup play better as a team than England. We always seem to rely on just one player to help us to win the world cup such as David Beckham or Wayne Rooney and if they get injured we have no chance. We never seem to build a team to compete but build a team around one player.

Apart from which the media here seem to think we have a God given right to win the World cup every time simply because we invented the sport of football (soccer if your from the US).

In the end I just hope its a good tournament.

Beans

I remember how well USA did in the Confederations Cup. A team to watch for sure.
    Registered Linux User #511465

Beans

I really want the US to do well so that more people here take the sport seriously.

I also support the Asian countries and African countries because they're underdogs. Australia will be a good team to watch out for.

Beans

Spain has won Euro 2008 with some fantastic display of team work and brilliant individual skills by certain players, and are huge favourites to win the 2010 World Cup.

Argentina also has a very strong team, with players like Diego Milito, Sergio "Kun" Aguero, and Lionel Messi, who all have amazing ball control and dribbling skills.

As far as Brazil goes, I'm not so sure about their current team, as I have not been following them lately. I just know that Ronaldinho is not included in the squad, and that Dunga wants the team to play more tactically, which is something the Brazillian people don't like.

I think those three teams are the big favourites to win this year, but as we all know, this is football, and anything could happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The vuvuzela

The vuvuzela came to international attention during the run-up to the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup, both hosted in South Africa. The world football governing body, FIFA, wanted to ban the use of vuvuzelas during the World Cup 2010 because of concerns that hooligans could use the instrument as a weapon and that businesses could place advertisements on vuvuzelas. However the South African Football Association (SAFA) made a presentation that vuvuzelas were essential for an authentic South African football experience,[2] and FIFA decided in July 2008 to drop the ban, allowing vuvuzelas at Confederations Cup.[10] President of FIFA Sepp Blatter opposed banning the vuvuzela, saying "We should not try to Europeanise an African World Cup," Blatter has said.[11] FIFA ultimately decided to allow the instrument for the 2010 World Cup as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    The vuvuzela
    That will be a nightmare. When I watched the Confederations Cup, it was extremely annoying. I barely could listen the commentaries.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    That will be a nightmare. When I watched the Confederations Cup, it was extremely annoying. I barely could listen the commentaries.
    Welcome to Africa
    Registered Linux User #511465

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast