Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hshan View Post
    ari97 thanks for your diligence , but would you mind explaining your procedures and steps for others coming to this thread?
    1. I installed all the package that Trevino provide.
    2. For my virtual box, I downloaded the latest version from its website (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads). Don't select according to your distribution, select All Distribution that will gives you the source. Just follow the doc to install it.
    3. Download the broadcom driver and patches from http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php .. patch the driver source, compile and install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by marincop View Post
    @Trevino

The switcher is OK now , Just need to exit to the and login again .
    Intel integrated vga work perfect, but when I with to the ATI Radeon card . It's need a driver .
    So I install the driver, but failed.
    I can install it on kernel 2.6.32 perfectly , but the when kernel upgrade to 2.6.35 it will cause errors.
    I think it the vga card driver problem .
    @All
    Is anyone successfully install the flgrx on 2.6.35 kernel ? or where I can get the newest flgrx driver?

Albert
    When I tried launching the script, Both integrated and discrete did not show any information on my graphics card. I get the pop-up dialog but it shows:

Choose Hybrid Graphic Card
    =================
    Integrated: :
    Discrete: ( ) - Power ON :

Did you experience this? My BIOS is set to Switch, I have the switch file in the VGAswitcheroo dir.

===
    EDIT: Navigate to "cd sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo". I managed to switch the cards manually in the shell using:
    $ echo DDIS > switch #discrete
    $ echo DIGD > switch #integrated
    $ echo OFF > switch
    In order for this to work, you will be required to logout and login again. An easier way, which I did was to modify the /etc/rc.local file. This tells the system to load with the discrete card turned off, enabling only the integrated one. I simply added:

chown "username" /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch #change "username" to your username
    echo DIGD > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

However, the above-mentioned script is unable to do the switching for me. It only informs me of which card is currently activated. So I use it to quickly check if my discrete card is turned off. In any case, the default activation is the integrated (lower-powered) Intel VGA. To maximize battery power, turn off the discrete card from the command above. I got an extension in battery life. I have yet to confirm the actual battery span but will get back to you guys again.

EDIT2: I managed to eject the CD tray using this command "eject /dev/dvd1". Created a launcher for it and all is good. If your eject command is not working like me before, use "ls -l /dev | grep '\->'" (without the quotes) If your cd/dvd drive is properly configured, it will be on that list. On my system, I have dev/cdrom1, dev/cdrw1, dev/dvd1 and dev/dvdrw1 which all works.

==

Hope it helps! So that's extended battery life! Still waiting for feedback on how to enable the proper display of the graphics card information on the window prompt.
    Last edited by lyradmil; August 14th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Beans

I have the same problem. I cant´ compile because of missing autoconf.h. How do I get it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ari197 View Post
    @Trevino

so I've managed to get VirtualBox running by installing from the source directly .. but I still cant' have my wifi working. When I tried to compiled the driver, it's missing the "linux/autoconf.h" files from your header ..

Beans

it's because since linux-2.6.34 (i think), Linus move the autoconf.h to another directory .. also there are some lib that aren't compatible ..

download the patches from broadcom page and apply it to the source..

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrun View Post
    I have the same problem. I cant´ compile because of missing autoconf.h. How do I get it?

Thanks

Beans

it's because since linux-2.6.34 (i think), Linus move the autoconf.h to another directory .. also there are some lib that aren't compatible ..

Use "Patch for kernel 2.6.33 and higher" and "Multicast patch for kernel 2.6.34 and higher" on http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php and see README.TXT for further information.

Beans

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else, but I had the same issue as this person --

d) FGLRX graphic driver - blank screen after booting

When I enabled the FGLRX proprietary graphics driver, I ended up with a blank screen after reboot. I did not manage to repair this and had to reinstall (I'm not a Linux professional...). Power consumption is low with the inbuilt card, so I'm quite happy with the standard card. I did not try to find a solution for this, as I am not keen on reinstalling again. Still sad for a nice piece of hardware not used.
    I've tried the graphics driver twice now, and it always black screens after a reboot. I *am* capable of resetting back to Intel drivers via the startup options area, but I wasn't able to find a way to fix this. Again, sorry if this has already been answered somewhere and I missed it, but it really is a shame to not use this excellent card. -- Fshy

Beans

OK. I have downloaded the paches, apply them, created wl.ko, put it it to /lib/modules/2.6.35-7-generic/kernel/net/wireless and when I tried insmod wl.ko, I got message:

insmod: error inserting 'wl.ko': -1 Invalid parameters

And in logs I can see this lines:

wl: disagrees about version of symbol create_proc_entry
    wl: Unknown symbol create_proc_entry (err -22)
    wl: disagrees about version of symbol remove_proc_entry
    wl: Unknown symbol remove_proc_entry (err -22)

Any idea whats wrong?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elepferd View Post
    1. I installed all the package that Trevino provide.
    2. For my virtual box, I downloaded the latest version from its website (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads). Don't select according to your distribution, select All Distribution that will gives you the source. Just follow the doc to install it.
    3. Download the broadcom driver and patches from http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php .. patch the driver source, compile and install.

Thanks guys, finally got wifi going on my 4820t with Travino's kernels

Beans

do
    - depmod -a
    - modprobe wl

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrun View Post
    OK. I have downloaded the paches, apply them, created wl.ko, put it it to /lib/modules/2.6.35-7-generic/kernel/net/wireless and when I tried insmod wl.ko, I got message:

insmod: error inserting 'wl.ko': -1 Invalid parameters

And in logs I can see this lines:

Any idea whats wrong?

Beans

Sorry, didn´t work. I´m geting this error:

FATAL: Error inserting wl (/lib/modules/2.6.35-7-generic/kernel/net/wireless/wl.ko): Invalid argument
    FATAL: Error running install command for wl

And in logs I heve the same error:

I didn´t find anything useful about this error.

Thanks

do
    - depmod -a
    - modprobe wl

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast