Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

I have the same problem

Beans

Hi again,

to get the vgaswitcheroo functionality back again, I removed the fglrx-updates package. After a reboot vgaswitcheroo is back and almost works! The X server was reconfigured automatically.

Further I installed the package indicator-cpufreq and used the applet to set the cpu(s) to power saving mode. I still think that the fan speed is changing too often and to extreme RPM values, i.e. increasing the cpu load only a little bit results in the fan being turned up to full speed.

At my first attempt, the power consumption went below 10W. After a reboot, it was and stayed at 17W (both with power saving mode set, display brightness at its minimum and the discrete gfx card turned off - bluetooth and wlan on)
    Just for completeness, this is the content of /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch:
    0:IGD:+wr:0000:00:02.0
    1IS: :Off:0000:01:00.0

When windows is running the dvd drive is turned off. This should be possible in ubuntu too. Who knows how to do it???

I still have problems with the X configuration when switching back to the discrete sound card:
    After switching to the discrete card, I logged out and got back to the login manager. I logged in and the gnome-session started but didn't react to my mouse clicks and keyboard inputs. Several times I killed the gnome-session from the console and retried - no change, the desktop still hangs.
    After a reboot, the desktop came up and ran normally (with the discrete card). I managed to switch to the internal card again and wanted to write my "report" here before I examine any further.

I still use an older set of scripts to switch between the cards. Wouldn't it be a good idea to provide a package with these scripts???

If you think that I mess up too many things in one single post, please tell me! B)

Regards,
    Bernd

Beans

Webcam Power usage on powertop

Hello,

Even though uvcvideo is blacklisted Powertop shows a Power Usage of ~3 W for the Webcam. Does anyone have this Problem too or knows a Solution to this?

Is this a Problem of Powertop or of the Webcam?

Greetings,
    Philipp.

Beans

Hi there,

I don't know if I will definitly jump into the ubuntu world.
    I've tried several times in the past and none of these attempts let me stay on Ubuntu.

For these reasons :
    • Lifetime of the battery (about 2h30 instead of 7h, I have a 9 cell battery)
    • Multi-touch gestures not really functionnal for a daily use (only scroll feature available)
    • Card reader was not functionnal
    • Wifi was not working

But that, it was like 2 years ago, and I hope, thanks to the huge community things are not like they were anymore =).

So my question, is it worth now to try another jump ? because Windows 8 is coming, and I don't like it so much

Thank you

Beans

Last edited by WiuEmPe; December 15th, 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Beans

Question Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Hey! Seems like every one of u has 100% working system huh?
    I am using Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit (TimelineX 5820tg, first gen i5, ATI 5650 & Intel) Volume changing, microphone, brightness are good, wi-fi, ethernet etc are good... But goddamn I can't figure out how to switch that sh*t ATI off forever... coz I just wanna use Intel. Any help?
    I edited /etc/rc.local and pasted before exit 0:
    chown -R $casey:$casey /sys/kernel/debug
    if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    echo DIGD > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    elif [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then
    echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    fi
    I tried like a hundred of combinations but sometimes they're still both on. I mean like intel on and ATI off does work sometimes... but sometimes does not and I don't wanna reboot it all the time.HELP!
    Last edited by 27CaseyCZ; March 13th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

Ubuntu doen't wake up from suspend sometimes

Hi I use Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit) on Acer Timeline TG3820.
    Sometimes Ubuntu just doesnt wake up from suspend. But not always...
    Any issues like that already known?
    Thank you!

PS
    i think itmust be something with the graphics (although i have installed the proprietary driver)... because when i wake up from suspend the screen turns on to black, than off again, again on to black and then i can log in ... and sometimes it stays just off... this is so strange

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 27CaseyCZ View Post
    Hey! Seems like every one of u has 100% working system huh?
    I am using Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit (TimelineX 5820tg, first gen i5, ATI 5650 & Intel) Volume changing, microphone, brightness are good, wi-fi, ethernet etc are good... But goddamn I can't figure out how to switch that sh*t ATI off forever... coz I just wanna use Intel. Any help?
    You can use a modded BIO and disable the AMD graphics. This is what I did in my GFs notebook. But just because she'd like to play games under linux as well I am still looking for a solution to switch...

Is there a way to switch any 4820TG now using fglrx? Has AMD managed to provide suitable drivers not matter if you habe a muxed setup? :/

EDIT: I just sent a support request for muxed setups to ATI. Please do the same. Maybe they consider to do something if many people are effected. I also sent a link to this thread so they'll read my call. That's not a problem I assume. But still ATI: Please provide nice linux drivers for us and we will by your hardware because it's the better one. But as long as you don't support linux good enough many people will think twice before buying your hardware in the future. And linux could be the OS of the future. I guess you know that.
    Last edited by cRaZyBisCuiT; June 19th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 27CaseyCZ View Post
    [...] But goddamn I can't figure out how to switch that sh*t ATI off forever... coz I just wanna use Intel. Any help? [...]
    I know I am late to answer, but I just now found an upstart-script to turn the ATI off during boot. Works almost flawlessly. (Sometimes after this script, the USB-mouse doesn't work until I manually replug it. Weird.)

Code:
    description "Workaround for ATi Mobility Radeon card, switches off discrete card
     using vgaswitcheroo"
    author "Ruslan N. Marchenko <me(o)ruff.mobi>"

start on virtual-filesystems
    stop on runlevel [!2345]

pre-start exec modprobe radeon
    post-start script
        echo -en "Switching off discrete VGA card."
        until grep Off /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
        do
            sleep 1
            echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
            echo -en "."
        done
        echo " Done"
    end script

post-stop script
        echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    end script
    Just put it in a file like /etc/init/radeon.conf and you're done.
    I want to make clear that this is not my work. Some nice guy put it on his webspace: http://ruff.mobi/go/ubuntu/upstart.html

Beans

I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 on my notebook Acer 3820tg.
    System is mostly usable but following annoying problems exist:

1) black screen when running System Parameters;
    2) random black occurs screen during power on or resume from hibernate. The system is not halted but there is a black screen. I can still do software reboot.

The problem might be connected with hybrid graphics (ATI + discreet)
    I have already filled a bugreport:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1314506

Any suggestions on the issue?

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast