Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Threaded View

Beans

Thumbs down Acer Aspire 4820TG/5820TG TimelineX Thread

My Problems and Solutions so far for the Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG running Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit).
    I created this thread because this laptop is very new, but I see high potential in it and think more and more user will show up with the 4820TG aswell. Please share your solutions/problems and feel free to help me try solving any of these problems.
    I am very new to linux and would love to start using it for real, but until I solve these problems I'm unfortunately going to keep on using Windows in my dual-boot setup.

Installation:Smooth!
    Problem 1:Ethernet not working
    Solution:
    Download driver, specifically "AR81Family Linux Driver" from http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx.
    Code:
    tar zxvf AR81Family-Linux-v1.0.1.9.tar.gz
    sudo su
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install linux-generic-header
    make install
    modprobe atl1e
    Problem 2:AC Adapter Status always showed as plugged in/Battery status not available
    Solution:
    ???
    Problem 3: Power consumption way higher than necessary
    Because this laptop has switchable graphics, and I am only interested in using the low-power intel onboard and not the ATI 5470. Can't find out how to only use the intel and deactivate the ATI. Not possible through BIOS, only possible to deactivate the Intel to only use the ATI Getting 2 hours instead of the promised 5-8 hours.
    Solution:
    ???
    Last edited by Amivit; July 19th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.