Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

On shutdown, I see error messages scrolling away too fast to read them (I think it's the same one repeated forever), after which the computer reboots.

Right now I'm running on the patched 2.6.32 packages linked from the bug to help test them.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ah, yes, I've mentioned that issue to switcheroo maillist
    Is it something like this?
    Code:
    [ 3430.695445] [drm:atom_op_jump] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 1sec aborting
    [ 3430.697491] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing CAE2 (len 62, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xCAFE
    If yes - it's not an issue, just slows down a little things when second card is powered off %) You can add to shootdown/reboot sequence script command to pwron second card (echo ON > /sys/kernel/...) - it should resolve the issue with this flood.
    Last edited by rufferson; July 10th, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rufferson View Post
    Ah, yes, I've mentioned that issue to switcheroo maillist
    Is it something like this?
    Oh, yes, it looks like that indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rufferson View Post
    If yes - it's not an issue, just slows down a little things when second card is powered off %) You can add to shootdown/reboot sequence script command to pwron second card (echo ON > /sys/kernel/...) - it should resolve the issue with this flood.
    Hum... Here the system reboots instead of shutting down, and it also happened before I learned how to power off the second card. I do consider this to be an issue.

I will try to power on the second card before shutdown and report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By "not an issue" I mean there is no harm in this message except time consuming, it will flood your console with this crap for about a minute (depends on speed of tty) and then continue.
    Try following sequence - ensure discrete card is powered (check output of /sys/... should be Pwr on both cards, if not - make echo ON > /sys/...) then remove radeon driver (rmmod radeon) and try to shootdown/reboot or wherever you saw those messages.

Beans

Bought Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX as well

Nice laptop indeed!

Did not even bother to look at the preinstalled W7 on it, instead installed Lucid (fully encrypted, with the alternate installer)

Then I did encounter some problems, some of which I was able to solve (some solutions in this thread), others still open. I summarise (might be helpful for others):

a) No network card detected

Solved with http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476231

In short:
    Downloaded driver from http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=125 , transferred tar-file to laptop with usb-stick, then followed instructions in above thread, especially answer #6

After this, Ethernet worked, and I was able to download updates via Update Manager. This included a restricted driver for the wireless.

b) Wireless does not work with WPA

I had already troubles connecting to WPA networks on Karmic, but this was on my old laptop, which had a few hardware issues. However, same behaviour on this new laptop with lucid:
    Network is displayed, I can select it, enter WPA key, however, it does not manage to connect. After a while, the password prompt appears again.

After checking a few threads, I could not find much help except a few solutions with lots of copy/pasting of commands and compilation stuff - nothing I like to do.

Nevertheless, I found an easier way:
    In Synaptic, look for the package "wpasupplicant", which should already be installed, and mark it for reinstallation. Apply, and afterwards, wireless with WPA worked like a charm.

Caveat: Fn+F3 does NOT activate/deactivate my wireless - only bluetooth comes up with it. And I have to manually enable wireless after every start up. I can live with that.

c) Inbuilt microphone does not work

I noticed this when testing skype. However, the inbuilt mic did not work as well when using Sound Recorder. Went to Synaptic and installed linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic
    Now Microphone works with Sound Recorder, however not yet with Skype - will work on that.

d) FGLRX graphic driver - blank screen after booting

When I enabled the FGLRX proprietary graphics driver, I ended up with a blank screen after reboot. I did not manage to repair this and had to reinstall (I'm not a Linux professional...). Power consumption is low with the inbuilt card, so I'm quite happy with the standard card. I did not try to find a solution for this, as I am not keen on reinstalling again. Still sad for a nice piece of hardware not used.

d) Battery state and running on battery is not recognised at all

This is the most annoying so far - laptop is running for about 6 hours, then shuts down all of a sudden. Ubuntu is not aware how much power is left, it does not even recognise it is running on battery.
    Still looking for an easy to follow, low maintenance solution to this! Help appreciated.

Beans

Re: Bought Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX as well

Thanks for contributing

Quote Originally Posted by mupi_foerster View Post
    Still looking for an easy to follow, low maintenance solution to this! Help appreciated.
    I'm still waiting like a little child aswell ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello,

@all :
    If you have a problems with your 4820 under Ubuntu lucid x86_64, I invite you to test the rufferson kernel compiled package.

@ruffersion :
    Thanks a lot for your kernel 2.6.34 x6_64 package !
    Now etherithing works like a charm (ehernet, wifi, Fn+F3, microphone, batery state ...)

Just one thing remains : The two gaphics card are reconize but I can't switch them !

Code:
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    0:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
    1: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0
    Code:
    echo DDIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Code:
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    0:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
    1: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Actually there is no sense to switch to ATI card since a) radeon/radeonhd kernel/xorg drivers are not supporting 5xxx series yet, b) fglrx does not support hybrid graphic yet. But for me switching worked fine, fbcon was switching to radeon (as in output I posted several posts above).
    You have Xorg running on intel I presume thus having "delayed switch" - i.e. as soon as intel card will become unused it will switch to second card. Check dmesg.
    Does it switch power of second card? Try echo OFF and see how status is changed.

Beans

Rufferson,

I sent you a priv. message about the kernel patch for the AC adapter status and battery charge status (LP #578894) (I'm not familiar with this forum, so I'm not sure if the msg is sent correctly). I would like to know the status of the patch, please reply me if you have time, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Hello, you want I've compiled also the 2.6.35-rc7 ubuntu maverik kernel with the ACPI workaround patch and it's available here:
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/acer-timelinex/
    With this kernel you could also switch / turn-off the video card using the switcheroo sys-node (more here) reducing a lot the power usage.

It should allow you to use also the internal microphone... Otherwise update alsa to 1.0.23 (you can use this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/unstable).

To use the internal microphone with Skype you need to uncheck the flag to "Let Skype adjust my sound device settings" and use alsamixer (or pavucontrol) to reduce the volume of a channel: run it, go to Capture view pressing tab, select the Capture bar and press "y" until you'll have reduced completely the left channel. After that, the pulse audio input volume meter will move and Skype will record your voice (note that if you change the input volume from the pulse audio configurator, you'll loose the recording ability again).

Bye
    Last edited by Treviño; July 13th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast