Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 4820TG TimelineX Thread

Ok.
    I'll have to wait till april until I can make a clean install due to some licenses which I really need.
    But thank you.

If someone got to know why setpci isn't working, it would be great to know.

Beans

Is anybody running on Ubuntu 11.10 - latest version?

Have this some critical bugs? Iam runnig on 11.04 but sometimes i think about change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wizards View Post
    Is anybody running on Ubuntu 11.10 - latest version?

Have this some critical bugs? Iam runnig on 11.04 but sometimes i think about change.

I think you'd be better off with 11.04 and waiting for 12.04. 11.10 is what made me switch from Ubuntu altogether. One of the things that really turned me off about 11.10 was the lack of customizability of Unity. 12.04 is supposed to be an improvement but that is what was promised with 11.10.
    use linux

Beans

Ok thanks. So I'am wait. Do you know anything about switchable graphics and fans in 12.04? Now i have 11.04 switchable graphics ok and fans (i think is ok too) but sometimes i hear in 11.10 fans and graphics does not work very well.

Beans

I'm not at all sure about 12.04 but if history is any indicator, I'd bet that switching doesn't work since the walkaround didn't work for 11.10. Hopefully, we are all pleasantly surprised since this is a LTE release.
    use linux

Beans

Hi,
    do you know any way to run 12.04 on integrated graphics card? How to disable Radeon?
    I have now Ubuntu 11.04 with 11.8 driver version from AMD and it works perfect. Long time couldn't boot Ubuntu 11.10 because of that common LightDM fail, but finally I tried upgrade one more time and fixed it. In Ubuntu 11.10 card drivers didn't worked and two card were enableb. Then I upgrade to 12.04 and hoped that new driver (12.4) will be ok, but with it graphic mode even don't start. When I cleaned Xorg.conf, I have 12.04 with Unity2D (3D mode don't start window manager, I have only wallpaper and conky) and two cards enabled. Cores temperature gets to 100 degrees...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Both cards work in 12.04 using vgaswitcheroo. It is enabled in this kernel by default, and seems to work fine. I'm using the ATI card now to output to an external monitor over HDMI. I have occasional problems, like not coming back quickly after the automatic screen blanking and lock due to inactivity, but I think that has to do with my personal memory leaking problems more thank anything else (too many tabs >.<). There is also a problem that sometimes my internal display will reduce it's refresh rate, but that can be resolved by simply unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in.

The ATI card can be disabled using vgaswitcheroo. I've been using that method for the last few releases, and it seems to work fine.

I find it interesting that you got it to work on 11.04. Much like yourself, I had problems with 11.10 and 12.04 when using the ATI closed-source driver.

Beans

Good to know it is worth fighting. I think I should consider fresh installation, because all solutions I found didn't worked. But first need to find some disc for backup.

Beans

Hi,

I just started using ubuntu 12.04 on my Aspire Timelinex, which is my first time to use ubuntu at all. Unfortunately, the battery status cannot be displayed though I already tried out all programms available in the software center. Can anybody help?
    Thanks
    Odhiambo

Beans

Hi,

first of all, I wish to thank the people that already have spent much time on getting all features to run on this great notebook. I have used all solutions and had a running machine since this thread exists. Thank you all for this!

Now i updated from ubuntu 11.10 to ubuntu 12.04, and I think it is time to participate a bit here. The update lead into some problems...

My BIOS was configured to use only the ATI card when I started.

- aptoncd did not work until I installed hal
    - wlan and bluetooth worked instantly

Because I want to reduce power consumption, I switched on both gfx cards in the BIOS and had to reconfigure X. The fglrx package is still installed, and I think, this is why the vgaswitheroo does not work right now. Can somebody give me the steps to get vgaswitcheroo running again? I'll try to remove the fglrx package and see what happens until you rescue me.

The cooling fan is extremely annoying. Do you know a way to control it's speed?

cu soon,

Bernd

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast