View Poll Results: What would work best on an EeePC?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Opera

8 27.59%
  • SeaMonkey

1 3.45%
  • Google Chrome

20 68.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good web browser for netbooks?

Beans

A good web browser for netbooks?

Firefox seemed slow on my Asus EeePC 1001P with Windows XP and Arch/Gnome so I reinstalled arch with a minimal desktop. Now, with openbox+xcompmgr+bmpanel Firefox still seems slow. I don't get it, my EeePC can handle some impressive applications but yet Firefox is a dog.

Any suggestions on a firefox replacement? I wanna be able to run something similar to adblock plus and I was thinking SeaMonkey might work. Moderators, feel free to modify the poll as I only added the web browsers that I am aware of.
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: A good web browser for netbooks?

Google Chrome/Chromium because it is small, fast, and takes up little screen space.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Firefox is still my favorite browser after all these years of trying Konqueror, Epiphany, Opera, etc.

But if you find Firefox slow, and you're using a netbook, I'd highly recommend Google Chrome. Instead of a static bottom status bar, it just shows you relevant information at the bottom of the screen if you need to see it (if you're hovering over a link or downloading a file). And the tabs are flush with the window buttons. So it doesn't use as much of the vertical screen real estate.

Despite occasional freeze-ups mid-page-load, it is a pretty speedy browser. If you have a lot of tabs open, it may chew up a bit of RAM, though, since every tab is its own Chrome process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Seamonkey is basically Fx with an e-mail client attached, in a similar vein to the Mozilla Suite of ye olden days.

If it's speed you're looking for, you'll want a WebKit-based browser such as Chrome or Epiphany. (The former is way more stable and capable, though.)
    Jonathan Rothwell
    (Still waiting for my cheque from $CORPORATION for shilling)
    HTML5 is not a drop-in replacement for Flash. This does not mean that Flash is A Good Thing.

Beans

Fennec might be a good option, it was pretty buggy last time I tried it (which was a long time ago) but it was quite fast. to be honest though, you might be best off with chrome since it loads JavaScript faster than the other browsers, listed.
    Regards Lee

Beans

Thats kinda what I thought, does Google Chrome have a way to fight ads?
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chrome has Ad-Block Plus.

Not sure about SeaMonkey, as I've never used it.

Opera has a similar feature where you edit a file called urlfilter.ini and then it blocks all the sites placed there. There are pre-built lists out there that you can just drop into the folder. It's a bit more roundabout, but it works the same.

I prefer Opera, so I would recommend at least trying that, but if that doesn't work go with Chrome.
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Midori or Epiphany
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    Midori or Epiphany
    Epiphany is essentially a dumbed down FF. +1 on midori though, great browser! Probably the fastest I've ever used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Chromium is great, fast, light, uses the screen very efficiently. Just awesome.
    .i coi rodo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast