Thread: Block IPs and ICMP IPTables

Beans

Arrow Block IPs and ICMP IPTables

Hello!

I use the following command to block IP Addresses with IPTables:

iptables -I INPUT -s 0.0.0.0 -j DROP

This works fine until I reboot, and then all of my settings are lost. How do I block an attacking IP Address permanently (so that the settings aren't lost on reboot)?

Also, I have Firestarter set to Filter ICMP, yet I continually fail the GRC Shield's Up test by having a ping get through to my computer. How can I put a stop to ICMP reaching my computer? I want to be able to easily disable and re-enable ICMP in case I need to do connection troubleshooting.

Thanx - GuiMaster

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Block IPs and ICMP IPTables

first, if you are using both iptables and firestarter they will conflict.

Second I would advise you use ufw / gufw

If you want to learn how to use iptables , see

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/iptables/

If you are already familiar with iptables, there are several ways to save your changes.

Personally I use iptables-save and call iptables-restore in /etc/rc.local, although you can call it from /etc/network/interfaces as well if you wish (post-up ...)

Details in the link above.

ufw is also very easy to use and will save your rules. If you want a graphical front end, use gufw.

You will need to purge firestarter though

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firestarter
    sudo apt-get install gufw
    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/firewall-ubuntu-gufw/
    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/fir...untu-desktops/
    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/fir...buntu-servers/

Last, ShieldsUp is not the best way to check for open ports / ping as it is scanning your ROUTER not your Ubuntu box.

Use nmap (graphical tool = zenmap) or one of the commands in my iptables linky.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can find ICMP rules in:
    gksu gedit /etc/ufw/before.rules
    Commenting out "-A ufw-before-input -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT" will block sending echo responses. If that helps!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster
    I continually fail the GRC Shield's Up test by having a ping get through to my computer. How can I put a stop to ICMP reaching my computer?
    It's neither here nor there (since your "home router/NAT device" is likely responding), but I don't think it is a particularly necessary - or good - thing to drop ICMP echo requests. I wish grc's scanning service would not represent that as a problem.

In the future, if you'd like to see what's happening with ICMP traffic on your host, you can watch it with tcpdump.

For example:
    Code:
    $ sudo tcpdump -i <int> icmp
    ... where <int> should be the network interface you're monitoring, e.g. eth0 or wlan0.
    • If you observe icmp echo requests and replies, then the ping request is reaching your host and being replied to.
    • If you observe icmp echo requests but not replies, then the ping request is reaching your host and being filtered/ignored.
    • If you observe neither, the request is not reaching your host at all..

Beans

Are you sure it's not your router that's answering pings?