Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Waiting for sound system to respond" problem, Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: "Waiting for sound system to respond" problem, Ubuntu 10.04

deleting ~/.pulse and restarting worked for me. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuk2008 View Post
    Unfortunately, this method did not help me. What helped me was the following:

1. Go to 'Home' folder by clicking the 'Places' menu
    2. press Ctrl + H to reveal hidden folders
    3. delete the '.pulse' folder
    4. restart

Hope this helps someone
    This worked for me and I'm using 11.04. My ~/.pulse folder persisted on reappearing instantly too, however I found that quitting (that's Ctrl+Q not just close) any programs that use sound (I had Rhythmbox open) then deleting the folder stopped its reappearance.

Hope that helps in case anyone's still having this problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nothing was working so I decided to go back to the cd and see what it had in the software center that I might have changed. Figured it was a good place to start because it all worked there.

I installed all the PulseAudio stuff and then went to System>Preferences> (and that's when I saw) Pulse Audio Preferences.

I clicked on it and noticed that all of the boxes were unchecked soooooooo.........

In Network Access I checked Make discoverable PulseAudio network sound devices available locally.
    In Network Server I checked Enable network access to local sound devices.
    In Multicast/RTP I didn't check anything.
    In Simultaneous Output I checked Add virtual output device for simultaneous output on all local sound cards.

I had no clue what I was doing as I'm a new newbie. But when I went back to System>Preferences>Sound, the Controller came back on screen and I was up and running.

I'm on an Acer Inspire 5250-BZ467

Still can't get the thing to shut of the external speakers when I plug in my headphones but I'll keep looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks. Deleting the .pulse directory, as described, worked well for me, but the loud sound darn near knocked my socks off when I rebooted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Removing ~./pulse didn't work for me. Selecting system/preferences/sound displays "Waiting for sound system to respond" after about 2 seconds. There is no sound icon in the top panel and trying to add it also leads to an error.

After removing ~./pulse it was created again but only with one file of zero bytes so I think it should have removed the problem.

Any one got any suggestions?
    regards,
    ubuntu 22.10 with full encryption, an SSD and dual monitors

Beans

I got this after fiddling with HDMI audio support. The solution was to revert the changes I'd made, specifically in /etc/pulse/default.pa, and the restarting pulseaudio

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
    (remove changes, such as "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7")

Code:
    sudo service pulseaudio restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Thanks for advice, in fact I wasn't aware of carrying out any changes so had nothing to undo. The first thing I knew was that it started behaving as described.

However I have know solved the problem and I think it might help others with broken sound systems. Someone suggested that with a broken sound system that one should try to set up another user, I did this and after the logon to the new user I got a message to say that ( a name I can't remember ) file was corrupted, delete or continue. It would not let me continue, only delete so I did. Amazingly when I then went back and logged on to the original user with the problem the same error message then occurred and I deleted the file as before. After this system/preferences/sound worked fine. All problems gone.

Even with the error present the sound was actually working but with no access to volume control unless it was allowed within the application program.
    regards,
    ubuntu 22.10 with full encryption, an SSD and dual monitors

Beans

Smile Re: "Waiting for sound system to respond" problem, Ubuntu 10.04

thanks,its worked for me .
    Last edited by alierenerdal; December 9th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234