Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsure whether to take the plunge!

Beans

Unsure whether to take the plunge!

Hi Everyone,
    I have reached breaking point with Microsoft and am wondering whether to take the plunge and install Ubuntu. Can anyone advise on the following?
    I use my P.C for emailing, surfung the net, moving music from CD to my MP3 player, storing photo's, occasioanal letters, a small "publisher" poster or similar, etc, etc.
    I also have been known to use Bittorrentts.
    What I'm not sure about is what I can do if I install Ubuntu. Can I use Firefox and Thunderbird or does it have it's own internet programs? Can I use Utube for example? Can I play a DVD/ Will I need to update drivers for my sound card, printer, etc, etc?
    I'm sorry if these are "no brainer" questions but I no nothing!
    Thanks
    Nick Sellick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Unsure whether to take the plunge!

I reached the breaking point in 2004.

I use my P.C for emailing, surfung the net, moving music from CD to my MP3 player, storing photo's, occasioanal letters, a small "publisher" poster or similar, etc, etc.
    I also have been known to use Bittorrentts.
    What I'm not sure about is what I can do if I install Ubuntu. Can I use Firefox and Thunderbird or does it have it's own internet programs? Can I use Utube for example? Can I play a DVD/ Will I need to update drivers for my sound card, printer, etc, etc?
    Firefox and YouTube are linux. Yes to all. MP3's are generally not a problem. Ipods can be somewhat.

Try a live cd and see how it works on your computer. Your drivers should be picked up automatically (possible exception of 3d video which can be enabled)
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

why dont you burn a live Ubuntu boot cd and give it a go without making any changes to your pc?
    or perhaps make a dual boot system until you are happy to ditch windows?

but there is nothing in your requirements that Ubuntu wont do, and do well!

You will find you have complete control of your system and be able to customise its appearance and function to your hearts content.
    Toshiba AMD64 2Ghz, 4Gb RAM: dual Natty/win7. Dell Mini10v: 10.04. SamsungN140:win7/11.04. NB200:10.10.
    ++ desktops P4 3Ghz ++ servers
    Full Circle Magazine | Ubuntu Pocket Guide | HantsLUG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

YES,yes You can firefox is installed You can check to see if it do want you want by running the LiveCD-also read linux is not windows You might also want to try Mint a distro based on ubuntu welcome and enjoy.

Beans

all of that will work, and hardware drivers are generally not an issue (this is also why it is setup to allow booting to system w/o install). a fresh install of Ubuntu should work great for you and i'm thinking turn you into an avid linux user.

like i said it will all work. there are only two things that I have not been able to do in linux so far: 1) stream netflix (they refuse to put out the code due to contracts, also wine + firefox + silverlight = crash) and 2) use Line6 POD Farm guitar software to play guitar through my computer (software is young, hasn't been ported to linux and wine doesnt support drivers for the usb interface). Both of those problems can be fixed by running a minimal xp install either as a dual boot or inside of a virtual box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

trenchn, I will suggest what everyone else did, give the liveCD a try, and then if you like that go with the dual boot (Windows or Ubuntu) option.
    I first tried Ubuntu for a work related project and if I remember correctly I don't think I liked it but very quickly realized how much I did enjoy it. (I am not sure why I didn't like it) I still have dual boot for both my laptop and PC but rarely use the Windows boots but am glad I have them.

The things you want to do can easily been done on Ubuntu and you can even keep/transfer your Thunderbird settings, email and options as well as most of your Firefox addons (you might need to get the linux specific version of an addon.) I believe there is a way, using dual boot to use the same folders for both Windows and Ubuntu and have access to your emails in ether boot. (This is a little more advanced but it can be done)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

I've never had a problem.

I'm using 10.04 on four machines.

KegHead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1) stream netflix (they refuse to put out the code due to contracts, also wine + firefox + silverlight = crash)
    I can't find the link but netflix says they're planning to port to linux. I believe they use silverlight2 which is why it's crashing

Beans

Thanks for all your replies. Can I download a "live CD", or do I have to order one?
    Thanks again.
    Nick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trenchn View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. Can I download a "live CD", or do I have to order one?
    Thanks again.
    Nick
    You can download it. Visit ubuntu.com, click download, and the default option is a live cd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast