Thread: booting from wrong grub menu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

booting from wrong grub menu

I have two versions of Ubuntu on my computer - 10.04 and an earlier one that i no longer use. I'd like to free up the space that the old partition is taking, but the computer boots from the grub menu.lst of that old version. How can I make the boot process use the menu.lst in the 10.04 partition?

Actually, where is the boot process situated anyway and how can you get at it?

Thanks,
    Ray

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: booting from wrong grub menu

Do you want to keep the old (Legacy) Grub or use Grub2 instead?
    Are you sure that the old menu.lst is used? Could you provide the output of boot_info_script (just to be sure)? (If you don't know how to run the script, look here.)
    5127d464-4548-4993-a138-f546f2fd2a33

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I'd install Grub2 from the LiveCD Reinstalling from LiveCD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I did a silly thing. I erased the partition where the old installation was, thinking that the booting process would find and use the remaining 10.04 partition. Oops! the computer wouldn't boot at all - I suppose it couldn't find the grub it was looking for and didn't know where to look for the good one.

I had a CD installation of Ubuntu 10.04 netbook version handy (from installing it on another machine) so I installed that (into the partition where the old installation was) to get me going.

So now I have the 10.04 desktop version - the one I want - on one partition and the netbook version, which I don't want, on another partition. But the computer still boots from the unwanted installation (clearly verified by boot_info_script).

How can I point the computer's initial boot process to the desired partition?

Thanks, Ray