Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMB issues - Unable to mount location

Beans

Re: SMB issues - Unable to mount location

Iowan,

I had gone through those steps, when I had 9.04. I will go through them later today. Thanks.

capscrew

>>I'm curious; how did you setup the addressing scheme? Is it handled by the router? DHCP maybe?
    What ever the defaults are when you start up a computer and hook it to a router. My setup is a cable modem to a router to the various computers. The router does have DHCP enabled and it assigns the ip addresses to the various computers, laptops. I don't have any issue getting to the computer in question (win 7) from the laptops running windows. The only one I have problems with is the ubuntu box.

>>How did you set up sharing? Did you just right click> share this file, etc, etc...? Or did you configure via >>the /etc/samba/smb.conf file?
    Yes, I have established shares on the windows box using right click > share... I didn't make any changes to the smb.conf file except to change the workgroup to the one I have the windows boxes on.

>>Although the internet has nothing to do with Samba they have some technologies in common. In both >>cases you need name services.
    Yes, the reference to the internet connection was just a point that I can seem to have the network correct through the router.

>>The local LAN name service can be DNS or WINS or /etc/host files or by NBT (NetBIOS over TCP) >>broadcast. How Samba uses (and in some cases even supplies some services) is configured in the >>/etc/samba/smb.conf file.
    Not certain how the windows box is set up, but I have looked at the smb.conf file and most of it is beyond my networking knowledge.

>>This is not a case of hunt and peck. You really need to understand how the Samba suite works.
    That is why I decided to ask here. I can vi with the best, but my unix experience is limited to sun os from a few years back.

Thanks for the help.
    Andy

Beans

Re: SMB issues - Unable to mount location

FYI, I was having the "Unable to mount location" error message issue with 10.10 attempting to connect to an XP laptop. After following the various instructions on Iowan's link I found that the suggestion to install windbind fixed it. Thank you, Iowan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12