Thread: Problem with Backup-Manager & var/archives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem with Backup-Manager & var/archives

Hello, new to these forums so please be gentle.

94GB partiotion constantly filling up due to backup-manager archiving both /etc and /home into the var/archives folder (nothing to do with apt!!)

I've edited /etc/backup-manager.conf to archive /etc and /home/documents

/home currently ~35GB so even .tar.gz ends up around 18GB and 3+ versions - fills disc++

using shift-delete on /var/archives to bypass Trash and make space.

I think this is a workaround but would prefer to be able to properly schedule backups and also for them to automatically land on my .gvfs connected external network drive

No cron for user/root at present.
    I have configured fstab on other systems in the past.

Running on amd64 10.04 with i855 graphics on an Acer 5520. I've already searched the net/forums for this particualr issue and whilst raised in some forms mostly blind ends to apt

suggestions/help appreciated.
    I don't seem to have this issue on another laptop with 10.04 i686 but it has a smaller home directory and 250GB h/d

in another life I would have /var on it's own partition and kept this to only a few GB - and backup-manager would be failing silently to fill my HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Problem with Backup-Manager & var/archives

I say an rsync script, get a one liner working then you can add error checking to it, and incremental backup capabilities and etc...

The one-liner would be something like
    Code:
    rsync -avz /etc /home /home/yourusername/.gvfs/networksharehere --exclude .gvfs
    The only possible problem I can foresee is when your user is logged out does .gvfs exist? does it have the share mounted there still? I don't know, you can build the script to check for it though.
    Last edited by jerome1232; May 25th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem with Backup-Manager & var/archives

Thanks, that had crossed my mind as an option and looks workable.
    I suspect I will need to permanently mount my drives through fstab rather than on demand via gvfs as I don't know how to check if a remote drive is present first!

It would be nice if there was a GUI or even gconf-editor way to enable/disable backup-manager. The conf file is fairly well commented so I hope what I've done will work.
    Tips on b-m.conf greatly appreciated.

If it doesn't work I may end up sending to dev/null or uninstalling