Thread: Strange DVD playback issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Strange DVD playback issue

I can play regular DVD's without a problem. However, if I record something with my Samsung DVD-R150 (part of my home theatre), I cannot play it at all on my computer. Even when I had Windows XP, I could not play anything from this DVD recorder.

I have tried several DVD players/DVDRW in this computer, along with both WinXP and Ubuntu, and they all give the same result...the discs recorded with the Samsung DVD-R150 are not read at all and I have to reboot to get the disc out of the computer. This has been going on since Hardy (currently on Karmic). I no longer have XP on this box.

Now the really strange bits - the DVDRW in my computer is a Samsung. Also, everyone else can play these discs in their computers (regardless of OS) and home DVD players without any issues. I have never had a problem recording with the DVDRW in my box, or with playback anywhere...only the stuff I have recorded with the home theatre DVD recorder.

First, has anyone else had this problem? With the same DVD recorder?
    Second, any theories why only my computer will not play these discs?

I know it is not a hardware problem, as I stated above I can play every other DVD with no issue (yes, even ones burned by others). And there is nothing copy written that I am recording, just my own home videos.

Thanks in advance.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Strange DVD playback issue

No replies? I am sure no one else has had this problem, but if anyone has heard something similar...
    This is a signature. It is original.