Thread: Olympus camera does not mount correctly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Olympus camera does not mount correctly

Hello everybody,
    I recently upgraded Ubuntu to 9.10; since then, I am no more able to mount my Olympus Mju 810 digital camera to transfer the pictures to the computer. I am using Gnome on a Dell Latitude D430 notebook.

When I plug the USB cable, the device is recognised and lsusb tells me:
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 07b4:0109 Olympus Optical Co., Ltd C-370Z/D-535Z/X-450
    Next I try opening it from the menu Places, where it is listed as "u810/S810", and the file browser starts with the address "gphoto2://[usb:004,003]/". Then I get usually the following error message:
    Sorry, could not display all the contents of "u810/S810": Failed to get file list: -35: Error writing to the port
    although sometimes (maybe for multiple trials or trying while it is still trying from the previous time before timing out?) I get error "could not lock the device".

Is there someone experiencing the same problem? Does anyone know of a way to mount it as if it were simply a disk device or something? Indeed, looks like the problem came together with the ability of the system to recognise it as a camera and not a generic USB disk device, and maybe there is some extra layer of user-friendliness that is not necessary.

I must add that the USB ports are working and so is the camera. I tested with Windows (that now I use only to transfer the photos, sigh) and it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for the help.

-yangmills

Beans

Re: Olympus camera does not mount correctly

I have the same. Is there a solution?