Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best linux gaming Distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the best linux gaming Distro?

Quote Originally Posted by pr0t3g3 View Post
    ... ... . . become a politician? There are better ways to beat the system than from the inside: simply destroy it...
    If you really believe that, you should read Ceasar's Column.

I hear linux mint is a more polished version of ubuntu... does the gaming experience differ...?
    No, it's not.

You will find the EXACT same "gaming experience" on EVERY major linux distribution.

I don't know how else to say it. The distribution you choose has virtually no effect what so ever on your gaming experience. None.

Let's see....

A current kernel with support for all the major gaming accessories the work with linux, and support for commercial video drivers for the "big two" video card chipset makers - Check.

A massive software repository with all the major free native games, and all the libraries you could ever need for gaming - Check, as long as you stay with the 'major' distributions.

Full support for 32 and 64 bit software, with excellent support of 32 bit games even in 64bit systems - Check.

Full support of the latest, and most past releases of WINE - Check.

Full support for Transgaming Cedega - Check

Virtually identical support for native linux games, some of which are fantastic - Check.

Great support of full virtualization including VirtualBox, VMware, and others - Check, as long as you stay with the 'major' distributions.

It just doesn't matter. Pick the distro that best meets you non-gaming needs, because they're all the same for gaming.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    If you really believe that, you should read Ceasar's Column.

No, it's not.

You will find the EXACT same "gaming experience" on EVERY major linux distribution.

I don't know how else to say it. The distribution you choose has virtually no effect what so ever on your gaming experience. None.

Let's see....

A current kernel with support for all the major gaming accessories the work with linux, and support for commercial video drivers for the "big two" video card chipset makers - Check.

A massive software repository with all the major free native games, and all the libraries you could ever need for gaming - Check, as long as you stay with the 'major' distributions.

Full support for 32 and 64 bit software, with excellent support of 32 bit games even in 64bit systems - Check.

Full support of the latest, and most past releases of WINE - Check.

Full support for Transgaming Cedega - Check

Virtually identical support for native linux games, some of which are fantastic - Check.

Great support of full virtualization including VirtualBox, VMware, and others - Check, as long as you stay with the 'major' distributions.

It just doesn't matter. Pick the distro that best meets you non-gaming needs, because they're all the same for gaming.
    Ok so linux mint and no other linux distros are all the same insofar as gaming. . but is linux mint more 'polished' program-wise? I keep hearing choose the one that's best for 'you' but I want opinions... so is it better in some ways?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok so linux mint and no other linux distros are all the same insofar as gaming. . but is linux mint more 'polished' program-wise? I keep hearing choose the one that's best for 'you' but I want opinions... so is it better in some ways?
    I haven't used it personally, but a decade of doing this tells me it's not any more polished.

What happens with these spin-off distributions, is that somebody with some skill, sometimes even a developer, gets torqued off because they can do it better. So, they spin up a new distribution that is little more than the same old thing with different default theme and a few renamed apps.

Very few of them ever turn into a 'real' distribution like Ubuntu from Debian or a Mandrake from Redhat.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans

I would say:
    *Ubuntu or Debian
    *Archlinux
    *Anything running Nvidia cards along with costum latencyied kernel(hello smooth framerate)
    Anything that does not come with crippled deamons by default is good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What Mint does for you is simple. Its menus are laid out more like windows and they install proprietary drivers and codecs by default. In addition they have developed a nice cohesive theme.

The underlaying mechanics of the system are identical to Ubuntu.

Beans

Fedora has a version that includes a ton of games out of the box. But once you have a game installed it will be the same on any Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Fedora has a version that includes a ton of games out of the box. But once you have a game installed it will be the same on any Linux.
    Thank you. you've been a great help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm surprised no one has heard of the Ultimate Edition Gamers ISO. This is a Ubuntu based system for gamers!

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate...dition-gamers/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxtorch View Post
    I'm surprised no one has heard of the Ultimate Edition Gamers ISO. This is a Ubuntu based system for gamers!

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate...dition-gamers/

Oh my God. The website and screenshots look freakin' terrible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Oh my God. The website and screenshots look freakin' terrible.
    I know. That's why I don't use it!

But still, it says it's a Gamer's Edition, and I'm pretty sure it's based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast