Thread: ubuntu wont burn dvds, k3b, brasero, ect.

Beans

Angry ubuntu wont burn dvds, k3b, brasero, ect.

Few nights ago I got brasero to burn a dvd worked fine the first time but with some problems.

one it had to convert my avi to mpeg 2 which took 45 minutes avidemux can do that in a few minutes.
    two after that, any dvd I burnt would have lag in the the play timing.

maybe brasero will work in a roulette sense but I definitely don't want to wait 45 mintues to convert an avi to mpeg file when the burning process is actually faster.

I've googled, burn DVD ubuntu countless times everyone seem to have a problem with k3b or what have you. I've also youtubed burn dvd ubuntu people seem to parade false tutorials only showing k3b's gui interface but being ambiguous as to its operations.

I've exhausted all sources is it possible that ubuntu simply cant burn dvd media very well? anyhow I guess Im asking is there any truly successful dvd burning software.

I mean DVDs specifically not iso or CDs. *shrugs

------------------------------------
    as a side note this is a very frustrating process it seems a lot of ubuntu users run into this, I might so much as resort to using VMware with nero. there are literally posts from three years ago asking theses very questions that were never fully solved. it would be very pleasing if that issues was indeed solved with an update to whatever software necessary, I'm still very much a linux fan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu wont burn dvds, k3b, brasero, ect.

Do you mean you want to burn a dvd to watch on your dvd player? If so I use devede to convert an avi to a format that a dvd player can handle.

If you just want to burn the avi to a dvd just burn it as a data disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

cariboo907,

since you mentioned DeVeDe, is it normal for it to take an hour to convert an mkv to iso on an Intel i7 930 with 6 gigs of ram? I have the "Use optimization for multi-core CPUs" box ticked but it still takes an awfully long time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nhasian View Post
    cariboo907,

since you mentioned DeVeDe, is it normal for it to take an hour to convert an mkv to iso on an Intel i7 930 with 6 gigs of ram? I have the "Use optimization for multi-core CPUs" box ticked but it still takes an awfully long time.
    Depends on the size of the file, not the RAM.

Yes, it takes some time to convert.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

i have used devede quite a bit to convert .avi's to .iso. i then use k3b to burn the image to a dvd that is playable in a stand-alone dvd player.

i have an "older" amd, dual-core with 2 gigs of ram.

the conversion, as stated above...depends on the size of the file. a 700mb .avi takes about an hour for me (that is while using the 2 pass encoding for better quality). the actual burning doesn't take very long at all.

Beans

fooman: tried that it burnt successfully 8D, however when I played to dvd on my ps2 it said dvd type cannot be detected any idea?

Beans

oops I actually meant to say the ps2 says "tv system doesnt match"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would think that "TV System Doesn't Match" would mean you are trying to play a PAL DVD on an NTSC PS2 or vice versa.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: ubuntu wont burn dvds, k3b, brasero, ect.

Also, if you're not trying to copy a commercial DVD (e.g., there isn't any protection), then you may want to try OpenShot Video editor for conversion. As with any video conversion, yes it takes a while. OpenShot to me is similar to Microsoft Movie Maker in Windows for doing simple things - I've brought in dozens of avis from a video camera, run them through OpenShot and then burned to DVD with Brasero.

Don't know if that will help you or not.

Dave

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bolucpap View Post
    I would think that "TV System Doesn't Match" would mean you are trying to play a PAL DVD on an NTSC PS2 or vice versa.
    yeah, if in the US....you must convert the file to NTSC dvd.

by default, devede converts to PAL....you have to change that.
    Last edited by fooman; May 26th, 2010 at 02:46 PM.