Thread: Adding more pictures to the Cosmos screensaver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adding more pictures to the Cosmos screensaver

thanks zabuch! Those wanting an easy premade solution should download zabuch's gnome hubble telecope pictures screensaver and then activate it within System>Preferences>Screensavers.

thanks grekhss! those wanting to make a screensaver with their own jpgs should copy them to /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos and run grekhss's script. read on below...

In Karmic, the path for the cosmos screensaver folder is:

/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos

just add more pictures to this folder and you can get them both as a screensaver and as a desktop background slideshow. I only can recommend adding JPGs, other formats might crash your system...

the package gnome-screensaver-cosmos-extras will misinstall them in another folder:

/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/cosmos
    Last edited by brallan; July 11th, 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Adding more pictures to the Cosmos screensaver

ooops, i just discovered that the desktop background will not get updated with the new pictures unless you edit (painstakingly) the file:

background-1.xml

anyone know of an easy way to generate an updated version of this xml file from the pictures in the folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post Re: Adding more pictures to the Cosmos screensaver

Quote Originally Posted by brallan View Post
    ooops, i just discovered that the desktop background will not get updated with the new pictures unless you edit (painstakingly) the file:

background-1.xml

anyone know of an easy way to generate an updated version of this xml file from the pictures in the folder?
    The following scripts create background-1.xml for all .jpg files in the current folder.
    IMPORTANT! What the files do:
    1) create_xml_file.sh creates text file names.txt, makes a backup of background-1.xml and launches names.py
    2) names.py takes the file names.txt and creates new file background-1.xml
    3) VERY IMPORTANT! It is supposed that contents of the folder where you create background-1.xml and the contents of /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos are the same. Otherwise, there is a risk that your desktop background will be simply black. Thus, please, do not forget to copy all .jpg files into cosmos source folder (/usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos)

Launch create_xml_file.sh to create background-1.xml.
    Of course, it is supposed that python is installed on your PC. =)

Update!
    It seems that my xml file is a bit incorrect. However, I did not find any sufficient differences, it is better to not use it until I fix the bug.
    Update #2!
    I have found the source of the trouble and fixed it. Moreover, I made some improvements and now your jpg files will stay the same - only xml file will be created. Hope that creation of a new file will not damage anything. =) Anyway your old 'background-1.xml' will be backuped.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by grekhss; June 10th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Adding more pictures to the Cosmos screensaver

You can also create your own .deb package with your own images to be displayed, see http://techblog.zabuchy.net/2010/how...e-screensaver/ . I have created a template for the package - you can get it at http://techblog.zabuchy.net/wp-conte...emplate.tar.gz . It contains simple shell script that will generate .xml file.