Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation Error Halts Process-"Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Installation Error Halts Process-"Cannot download the metalink and therefore the

The main partition where the ubuntu system is installed is called root, and marked with /
    This is the same like C: in windows.
    Your personal files and settings are saved in your Home folder. That folder can be a folder in the / partition, but it can also be a partition on its own which is then marked as mount point /home. In that case it is independent from / and during reinstall you can keep it easily.
    Like you said yourself, when having second data partition in windows, you can format C: and reinstall at any time, you still keep your files from D:. This is the same.

The swap partition is space temporarily used if the ram memory gets full. In windows you have a file called swap file, in linux you usually have a partition (although you can also have just a file).

From your Disk Management screenshot, you need to think first whether you want to shrink C:. Right now it is 200GB but if you plan to have common ntfs partition for data, I guess it's better to shrink C: and make the common partition as large as possible.

If you want to keep C: as 200GB that's still fine. The unallocated space is enough for installation of ubuntu.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: Installation Error Halts Process-"Cannot download the metalink and therefore the

Hi just like to say that i had some problems downloading using wubi.....similar error...access denied....i think it was down to my firewall...zonealarm....unloaded zonealarm,and the installation went through no problems.

So have you got a firewall?If so unload it and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Installation Error Halts Process-"Cannot download the metalink and therefore the

Darko,

Thanks for sharing. I have gone over your posts and tried to implement what we talked about. Since we talked I did shrink my C partition down with left a large Unallocated Partition. I booted up using the Ubuntu 10.04 64bit disk and had it take that unused space. I then went back into Disk Manager and thought I could shrink Ubuntu's Partition, but couldn't. I decided to delete Ubuntu's Partition and go back into Windows 7 and start over. I tried to reboot in and the system could reboot so I decided to restore Windows 7. I'm basically back to where I was, and still unclear on how I can achieve this.

How can I implement the following dual boot system with the following partition setup?

1. Windows 7 (with a little extra space for growth)
      65GB as suggested
    2. Ubuntu 10.04 (with a little extra space for growth)
      10GB as suggested
    3. Partition for my personal data storage
      As large as I can get
      *I'll keep all my data here in case I need to do another restore and so each OS can access this information*

NOTE: I don't know what to do with these other two partitions (i.e., 1st @ 1.46GB or 3rd @ 8.93)

I feel totally lost and stupid

Bob
    Last edited by u2rcrazy; May 28th, 2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: For got to clarify this info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12