Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broadcom BCM4306 can't find wireless networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Broadcom BCM4306 can't find wireless networks

Ok, one more quick update. Another good news bad news situation. I was able to actually get it to connect to my wireless network after refreshing and taking WEP off, but it worked for about 15 minutes until it started flickering and then fully disconnected. I have tried to connect again and I just get the same "Connection Failure: Unable to get IP address" message I've been getting all along.

The thing is I didn't change anything to make it work, and when it stopped working I hadn't done anything either. I just don't understand what happened. Is there something I can check to find out what happened? Some sort of script I can run or something...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I still haven't been able to resolve this problem. Does anyone have any ideas or know a script to run to figure out why it was working earlier, but not now?

Thanks!

Beans

I saw this in an earlier post you did

668.837313] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
    so is there still a firmware problem?

I am not a wireless expert

doubtless

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...devicefirmware

you have already done this

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    as I can see b43 and b43 legacy ..........??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    I saw this in an earlier post you did

so is there still a firmware problem?

I am not a wireless expert

doubtless

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...devicefirmware

you have already done this

as I can see b43 and b43 legacy ..........??
    Thanks pdc. I installed the new firmware, but it still can't get an IP address. I have already installed the b43 drivers and b43-fwcutte.

Anyone got any ideas?

Here is the script from the firmware install:

mikee@mikee-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic
    [sudo] password for mikee:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    linux-headers-2.6.32-21 linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,956kB of archives.
    After this operation, 6,009kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic 2.6.32-22.13 [1,952kB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic 2.6.32.22.23 [4,024B]
    Fetched 1,956kB in 5s (344kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic.
    (Reading database ... 146019 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic_2.6.32-22.13_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic.
    Unpacking linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic_2.6.32.22.23_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.32-22-generic (2.6.32-22.13) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic

Setting up linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic (2.6.32.22.23) ...
    mikee@mikee-laptop:~$

Beans

I wonder what the framp script says now ........

http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/...w.html#English

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Broadcom BCM4306 can't find wireless networks

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    I wonder what the framp script says now ........

http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/...w.html#English
    Thanks pdc.I tried the script again, but I got exactly the same result.I tried openSUSE, but I didn't really like it. Program and function locations didn't seem to make any sense and it wasn't able to connect to my wireless either.

What I really don't understand is that I had it working for about 15 minutes and I didn't change anything. Then it stopped and I haven't been able to get it back since. I can see not only mine, but all the wireless networks in the building and nothing works. I even took it to the coffee shop to try their wireless, but nothing...I am really at a loss.

Beans

Mikeee,

Did you manually assign an ip address to your wireless adapter? Also, are you connected to a router? You may have already answered these questions but I did not see that you manually edited your connection assigning an ip address, gateway, etc. to your wireless adapter.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieC View Post
    Mikeee,

Did you manually assign an ip address to your wireless adapter? Also, are you connected to a router? You may have already answered these questions but I did not see that you manually edited your connection assigning an ip address, gateway, etc. to your wireless adapter.

Jim
    Hi Jim, I am using a Netgear WGR614v6 router for the wired and wireless network. I have not edited the IP address, because the router uses a dhcp and it works on the ethernet cable.

If I was going to use a static IP address, how would I find out what address I should use? I don't know how to set up a static IP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Broadcom BCM4306 can't find wireless networks

I've got it working! There was an update installed this morning and when I tried the wireless again, it connected

There are still 2 odd things. First it won't save my WEP key, I have to enter it every time I turn the computer on. The other is that it asks me for a keyring password after I enter the WEP key; I've never entered or been asked for this password before so I have no idea what it is. I tried my sudo password, but that didn't work. I can click cancel though and it will still connect to the network anyway.

Not a big deal really because it works now, but it is kinda weird.

Thanks everybody for helping out. I couldn't have done it without you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123