Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approximately when would 2.6.34 kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Approximately when would 2.6.34 kernel?

Approximately when would Lucid get the 2.6.34 kernel? Weeks, Months, Next year?

My uname

Karmic:~$ uname -a
    Linux Lexington-19-Karmic 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Approximately when would 2.6.34 kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    Approximately when would Lucid get the 2.6.34 kernel? Weeks, Months, Next year?
    Probably never. The history of Ubuntu shows that a specific kernal release is picked for a specific operating system release. I think I saw where the plan for Ubuntu 10.10 is to use kernel 2.6.35.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It may be backported in Lucid probably sometime right before Meerkat launches or right after. Or possibly through a PPA.
    KDE SC 4.4

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You could test 10.10

Code:
    Linux wojox-desktop 2.6.34-3-generic #10-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 19 03:21:41 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can always simply download the appropriate image, headers and headers generic packages from here
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-rc7-lucid/
    and try them. Put them in an empty folder and run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *
    from that folder and they will be installed giving you the kernel in grub which you can try out. I tried the rc4 version on a test bed partition with no ill effects at all.

If you have one of the old ATI graphics cards, you might also like to add the xorg ppa repos to get updated packages which are apparently better for the old ATI cards which cause overheating problems in Lucid
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Beans

Most people don't need the headers. If you don't plan to compile the kernel, just get the appropriate image file and install it with gdebi. I've been running newer kernels on top of Jaunty, Karmic, and now Lucid since Jaunty was in beta, with no ill effects at all, just the linux-image files.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

At one point I was running kernel 2.6.34-999 generic (development kernel) as it was the only way I could get my 3g modem working - but that now works with the present 2.6.32-22-generic. sgosnell is correct that one only needs the image and not the headers if you plan to run the 2.6.34-xx kernel.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

dont install release candidate 7. the stable 2.6.34 has already been released.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...v2.6.34-lucid/

you will need to install 3 packages.

please install in order listed. Then run from a from a terminal afterwards:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot. to confirm you are running the new kernel type in a terminal:

Code:
    uname -a

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My purpose in asking about the newer kernel is to obtain a -working- module for the AMD K10Temp and that will allow LM-Sensors to provide me with CPU Temp. Currently, with whatever sensors that sensors-detect can use, I have only the temps of the GPU (Evga 9500GT) and the Hard Disk (Seagate ST3400620NS).

From both an efficiency as well as a "safety" viewpoint, as end user, I want to change as little as possible to accomplish this. That makes a "safe" upgrade as well as, by doing as little as possible (meddling in my OS), and "doing no harm" first.

My (very limited) understanding of the K10Temp module is that it is in-built into the Linux kernel as of 2.6.34. Would I be wrong in thinking that it would then be in-built as well in 2.5.35?
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans

Features seldom get dropped from later kernels. It's perfectly safe to install newer kernels, because you can always boot from any kernel still installed. You can install the .34 kernel, and if you have problems just boot from the default kernel. You can easily remove kernels via Synaptic, as long as you aren't booted to the kernel you intend to remove. I would advise installing the .34 kernel and trying it out. I like it a lot. If it doesn't do what you want you can always remove it, and you can also install the .35 kernel over it when it is released. That will just result in the ability to boot to the .35 kernel in addition to the .34 kernel and whatever you already have installed. I tend to remove older kernels after I insure that the newer kernel works ok, just to save space and remove clutter, but I usually keep the default kernel for the OS version I have installed, although I seldom boot to it. It's just a final safety fallback.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast