Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery... Redundant?

Beans

Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery... Redundant?

Ghostery blocks "web bugs" to protect your privacy.

Adblock+ has a subscription list that is EasyList+EasyPrivacy, which supposedly does the same thing.

Noscript has on option in the advanced settings tab to block "web bugs."

Does anyone have an opinion or thought on which of these are redundant? I don't really want to compare these giant lists of blocked items for each of these addons...

Beans

Re: Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery... Redundant?

Adblock+ really slows my system down. A ClamAV scan reported Ghostery as a virus. So noscript is the one of the three I favour, it is also available in the repositories so has been checked and can be installed before one even opens firefox.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; May 23rd, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Beans

Adblock does a great job with ads, I've only ever used easylist + fanboyslist.

Noscript does a great job with anything utilizing javascript, so long as you dont just blindly allow random websites. The flaw is that it only blocks javascript on a site by site basis rather then what the js is actually doing. I usually only premanently allow sites that I go to all the time, and use the temporarily allow button for anything else. Also I remove everything from the whitelist when I first install it, that way it blocks analytics.

I've never used ghostery. I think noscript blocks all the same stuff ghostery does though. And ghostery isn't GPL.

I prefer privoxy over anything. It does ads, javascript, and cookies. Its very highly configurable, its just a matter of writing your own rules for javascript and cookies. Its capable of filtering js based on what it does, as well as by site. The default rules do a pretty good job with ads, but they're rather laxed on js and cookies.
    Last edited by tjwoosta; May 23rd, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I use adblock , noscript , and , betterprivacy . The last is to block a new generation of cookies that can bypass current blocking methods , and it removes flash cookies when ever Firefox is closed. Redundant ? I think so .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

AdBlock is for blocking ads. It will block some javascript and some non-javascript ads. It should make your browsing less cluttered and improve your browsing experience.

NoScript blocks all or a selection of scripts. It won't stop non-javascript ads, and sometimes enabling certain domains to run javascript will introduce the javascript ads that site servs. It's primary function is to prevent browser flaws from being exploited and prevent you from getting hacked.

Never used ghostery, but it seems to be the same as noscript.

Having AdBlock and NoScript isn't redundant. There is some overlap between what the two block, but they are both meant to do two different things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    Never used ghostery, but it seems to be the same as noscript.
    Not at all. Ghostery blocks tracking services like Google Analytics. That's it. It doesn't block scripts, flash or other advanced stuff NoScript can block. But it does a pretty good job on what it is designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    Having AdBlock and NoScript isn't redundant. There is some overlap between what the two block, but they are both meant to do two different things.
    I agree. I also think that using Ghostery is not redundant. At least is convenient, since my AdBlock Plus lists doesn't block several tracking services by default.

Anyway, if you use NoScript to block web-bugs I guess it won't block tracking services if you allow a domain. For example, I allow sites I trust completely in NoScript so can view content properly, but I don't want to be tracked on those sites (or any other sites). So Ghostery is useful in conjunction with NoScript.

Using all these extensions allows you to have more flexibility about what is blocked and what is not.

Beans

Smile Re: Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery... Redundant?

I just creatd a user to say that **** was really useful.

I was curious about they'd interfere with each other on Windows.

Beans

I don't use NoScript these days. It has probably improved, though the ToR people at least used to recommend that people don't use NoScript, as most people didn't know how to configure it & did more security damage than good for themselves.

I used to use Privoxy & ClamAV via the IPCop/Copfilter add-on. These days I don't run either. There was no need for ClamAV on our LAN anyway.

So now that Privoxy is not being used I use Adblock Plus. The functions of which are not duplicated by Ghostery which I also use.

I also use both Default User Agent & RefControl, in an effort to make my browsing somewhat less traceable.

Plus FlashBlock, so I only get to see Flash items that I choose (apart from any security considerations).

Adblock Plus & FlashBlock make my surfing visually more appealing & probably allow pages to load a bit faster.

The other stuff I use not out of fear of machine invasion, but out of being pissed off with the incessant workings of the marketroids who are intent on invading my privacy for their benefit without my consent.
    Last edited by handy; August 16th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I don't use NoScript these days. It has probably improved, though the ToR people at least used to recommend that people don't use NoScript, as most people didn't know how to configure it & did more security damage than good for themselves.

I used to use Privoxy & ClamAV via the IPCop/Copfilter add-on. These days I don't run either. There was no need for ClamAV on our LAN anyway.

So now that Privoxy is not being used I use Adblock Plus. The functions of which are not duplicated by Ghostery which I also use.

I also use both Default User Agent & RefControl, in an effort to make my browsing somewhat less traceable.

Plus FlashBlock, so I only get to see Flash items that I choose (apart from any security considerations).

Adblock Plus & FlashBlock make my surfing visually more appealing & probably allow pages to load a bit faster.

The other stuff I use not out of fear of machine invasion, but out of being pissed off with the incessant workings of the marketroids who are intent on invading my privacy for their benefit without my consent.
    Ghostery suffered from serious performance issues recently. Most problems seems to be fixed now, but if you ever experience slow tab switch and Firefox unresponsiveness, then try to disable it first, before troubleshooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Adblock+, NoScript, Ghostery... Redundant?

Adblock really slowed my firefox down-so i use NoScript and betterprivacy-i never heard of Ghostery but I will chech it out-however i think redundancy could be a good thing sometimes-if you know what I mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast