Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Flash issues are very common and threads asking for help are posted several times a week.

In order to provide an easy solution for new users to install Flash and solve some common issues, I have created FLASH-AID, which is a Firefox extension that automates the process of removing conflicting plugins and installing the proper version of Flash according to browser architecture.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/flash-aid

Last edited by lovinglinux; February 11th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

I had to release version 1.0.1 to fix a bug if you install the 32bit version on a 64bit machine. Links on the first post are updated.

If you have a 32bit version and it doesn't install properly, grab the new version too.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

I have been having a real problem getting flash working since trying to install the 64-bit version. I'm running 10.04 x64 and 64-bit Firefox 3.6.3 ... whatever I do I can't get it to recognize the plugin. Flash-aid tells me that I'm running 32-bit architecture and tries to install the 32-bit plugin... which doesn't work. Whatever I do I get the message saying "plugin required" ... and "aboutlugins" says none are installed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Superluke View Post
    I have been having a real problem getting flash working since trying to install the 64-bit version. I'm running 10.04 x64 and 64-bit Firefox 3.6.3 ... whatever I do I can't get it to recognize the plugin. Flash-aid tells me that I'm running 32-bit architecture and tries to install the 32-bit plugin... which doesn't work. Whatever I do I get the message saying "plugin required" ... and "aboutlugins" says none are installed.
    Could you please click "Help >> About Firefox", take a screenshot of that window and post it here?

Also please post the output of these commands:

Code:
    uname -a
    Code:
    locate libflashplayer.so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

About Firefox:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

uname -a:

Linux luke-desktop 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:28:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

locate libflashplayer.so shows it wherever I put it.... the /plugins directories...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

/home/luke/.limewire/browser/xulrunner/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /home/luke/.limewire/browser/xulrunner/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    /home/luke/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /home/luke/.mozilla_backup_2009-10-15T12:59:55-0400/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

Beans
    Distro

About Firefox:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

uname -a:

Linux luke-desktop 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:28:05 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

locate libflashplayer.so shows it wherever I put it.... the /plugins directories...
    Thanks. I will upload a new version in a couple of minutes that should fix the architecture detection and allow you to install the 64bit flash. The fix is already in place, I just need to upload it to the mozilla server.

BTW, how did you install Firefox?

Beans

About Firefox:

If you're running 64-bit Ubuntu and you see i686 in your browser string, you've managed to (probably unintentionally) install a 32-bit browser (which would need 32-bit plugins in /usr/lib32).

Beans

Released version 2.0.2, which adds an option to use Google Chrome plugin on 32bit systems and a couple of minor bug fixes.

Beans

Quick question: After running the scrip in this plugin, am I suppose to get vdpau acceleration in my ION? I ran it and I still got no HW acceleration on youtube, with the nv drivers, compiz on and off.

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast