Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

Adobe purged the last beta from the server. So now Flash-Aid Beta feature is delivering the same version that is available in the repos. The one causing the SMURF effect. Not much I can do about it, since I am not allowed to distribute Flash directly.

I will rename the Beta feature to something else in the next version of Flash-Aid. Meanwhile, it will continue delivering the versions Adobe let us.

Beans
    Distro

Re: FLASH-AID: remove conflicting plugins and install proper flash plugin version

I have updated Flash-Aid download url to get flash version 11.2.202.233. If you want that version, click "Check Update" in the extension menu, wait for the warning that a new version is available and then run the Wizard again, selecting the BETA option.

Unfortunately, this version still causes SMURF effect on nVidia powered machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been working on my aunt's old computer that runs Lubuntu 12.04. After the 12.04 update, Flash stopped working. I tried Flash Aid, but for some reason it doesn't work. Do you think you could help me with my problem? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You have to download an old adobe flash plugin which works for you i.e.: 11.1 release or 10.3.183.20 ( that is what I am using in my old pentium III with sis 630/730 graphics card and lubuntu 12.04, because the 11.2 release crahses all my web browsers).

You can download old adobe flash from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-versions.html, if you download a zip file you have to unzip and choose the .tar.gz suitable for linux, then it can be used the lovinglinux flash-aid add-on for firefox in its "custom" way in order to install the old adobe flash plugin.

Note that using an old adobe flash plugin can have security risks

Beans
    Distro

Okay thanks! I'll try it out.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! That did the trick! One less headache

On an off-topic note, how do you get flash to not run like garbage on an old computer? My 69 yr old aunt puts up with it because she loves her old machine. I've tried prioritizing the flash process with the "renice" command, but that doesn't seem like something my aunt can do herself. The machine is an old Vaio, PIII 800 MHz, 512 RAM w/ Lubuntu 12,04. Any tips?

Thanks again for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, to run flash videos in such an old machines (pentium III) is a real pain and I think is a little beyond its posibilities since adobe flash plugin is a resources hog.

What can work for you is to use flashvideoreplacer addon for firefox (lovinglinux is the author), but it only can be run in certain sites https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...videoreplacer/, or you can try to use a low resources cunsumption web browser.

Other solutions can be to download the flash videos (jdownloader perhaps) convert to avi and watch them in smplayer.

Beans

I noticed the add-on was removed from the Mozilla repository, can you explain the reason why?

Edit: Ok read on the site it was discountinued because of Adobe's choice
    Last edited by kolaff; August 10th, 2012 at 07:01 AM.

Beans

So is there another way to get Flash-Aid now?
    Thanks for the reply.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kolaff View Post
    I noticed the add-on was removed from the Mozilla repository, can you explain the reason why?

Edit: Ok read on the site it was discountinued because of Adobe's choice
    Among other things, because of the end of support for Flash on Linux, because I am currently unable to fix bugs and provide support. This decision is not final tho. I am still deciding what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by photosyn View Post
    So is there another way to get Flash-Aid now?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes. You can get it from GitHub at https://github.com/webgapps/flashaid/downloads

However, keep in mind it might not work as expected.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast