Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any problems upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04?

Beans

Re: Any problems upgrading from 8.04 to 10.04?

I didnt done that before but you can do it easy way:
    You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

1. Start System/Administration/Update Manager.

Click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
    4. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.

Click Upgrade.
    6. Follow the on-screen instructions.

and if you are going to do in a right way with required condition i dnt think dere is any problem in your way!!!!!!!!!
    enjoy!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I upgraded 8.04 LTS as far as 9.10 and then got stuck. 9.10 would boot but the video would not work. So I could not see anything. Using an older kernel I could boot into recovery mode, but I did not know how to upgrade from the command line. Question: Anyone know how to do an upgrade from the command line?

So I created a new partition and did a fresh install of 10.04. Now I will need to re-add all the software I've collected.

However, because I keep /home in it's own partition, Ubuntu did a nice job retaining a lot of environment settings and things like that.

p.s. I have a Dell 1525 laptop sold with Ubuntu 8.04 pre-installed by Dell. Unfortunately Dell did not support the proprietary driver they packaged for the crappy i965 video module. What a pain in the backside. I will not do that again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moshuptrail View Post
    I upgraded 8.04 LTS as far as 9.10 and then got stuck. 9.10 would boot but the video would not work. So I could not see anything. Using an older kernel I could boot into recovery mode, but I did not know how to upgrade from the command line. Question: Anyone know how to do an upgrade from the command line?

So I created a new partition and did a fresh install of 10.04. Now I will need to re-add all the software I've collected.

However, because I keep /home in it's own partition, Ubuntu did a nice job retaining a lot of environment settings and things like that.

p.s. I have a Dell 1525 laptop sold with Ubuntu 8.04 pre-installed by Dell. Unfortunately Dell did not support the proprietary driver they packaged for the crappy i965 video module. What a pain in the backside. I will not do that again.
    I believe:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && upgrade
    will do the trick.

I'd rather stuff a clutch of live, rabid squirrels into my mouth than use a Dell.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12