Thread: How often are the systems refreshed?

Beans

How often are the systems refreshed?

How often do you update the hardware? I don't want to buy a laptop (pangolin) that will be instantly out of date. I need it for september so I can wait a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How often are the systems refreshed?

Quite often from what I've seen to keep up with the times. Welcome to the world of owning a computer, anything you buy is almost always obsolete
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicdarky View Post
    How often do you update the hardware? I don't want to buy a laptop (pangolin) that will be instantly out of date. I need it for september so I can wait a bit.
    I read a little while ago that they weren't expecting any big changes to the line-up in the near future but September is still a bit away.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicdarky View Post
    I bought my Pangolin July 2009 (PanP5) and they've refreshed it twice since then with PanP7 being the latest. I think the jump from PanP5 to 6 was more in the case but from Pan6 to Pan7 had some major changes on the processor and other components.

Given my laptop is only a year old and now two revisions behind I don't feel like it's outdated by any means, so even if you ordered one now I think you'll have a system that's 'latest and greatest' for a while.

As all things in tech, no matter when you buy something, within 3-6 months it'll be outdated to some degree.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

desktops 4-6 years
    laptops 3-4 years

for personal hardware like my primary laptop or my workhorse/gamer desktop, I spend more and more often in upgrades. pretty much 3 years, unless I'm trying to rotate out a component that was disappointing from the get go (like the PentiumD I got in '05; replaced it in '07).
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We probably *average* refreshing every 6 months. But that's certainly not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes its more, sometimes its less.

For what it's worth, the only thing I *know* of that is on the radar is our Starling netbook.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC