Thread: Need to make bootable USB drive from ISO

Beans

Exclamation Need to make bootable USB drive from ISO

Hi There
    I have ubuntu 10.04 installed on my machine but I want to have Windows 7 on dual boot. The problem is, my DVD ROM is not working right and I can't boot through the Windows 7 DVD.

Is it possible, to create a bootable USB drive from the Windows ISO image in Ubuntu? It's done in windows using the "diskpart" utility of MS DOS

And just for reference, just copying the contents of ISO to the USB, DOES NOT make it bootable.
    The All Round Tech Blog
    Techylabs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Need to make bootable USB drive from ISO

As far as I know, you can't do it in ubuntu. Not without tweaking around.

Because just copying the files doesn't make it bootable, you need to run a command, but that command works only in windows. Otherwise it's on the win7 dvd.

PS. However, if you are experienced with grub, you could put grub1/grub2 on the usb stick (not related to your ubuntu install) and all you need is to tell grub to call /bootmgr file on the stick. When you copy the files over, you'll notice the /bootmgr file on the root of the stick.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This has to be run in a windows environment and it has to be a legitamte ISO of windows 7 to work.
    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-U...-10972600.html

You can actually get this free form MS and should have been part of any legitimate ISO download.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I beleive it is simply a right key option in win 7 to copy the iso to a cd/dvd/usb drive location and make it a bootable copy with all of the individual files.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronparent View Post
    I beleive it is simply a right key option in win 7 to copy the iso to a cd/dvd/usb drive location and make it a bootable copy with all of the individual files.
    You can burn it to a DVD but not just put it on a thumb without the windows thumb loader. There may be some hacks on the web to do this but you can't just copy it over via a right click. MS has made it very difficult to load any windows distro on a thumb for a install.

I just found this which are instructions on how to rip the DVD to a thumb it might work with a ISO. This would be a option if the ISO doesn't qualify as authentic with the MS thumb loader.
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/
    There is also a link to the MS tool in the link.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 22nd, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    You can burn it to a DVD but not just put it on a thumb without the windows thumb loader. There may be some hacks on the web to do this but you can't just copy it over via a right click. MS has made it very difficult to load any windows distro on a thumb for a install.

I just found this which are instructions on how to rip the DVD to a thumb it might work with a ISO. This would be a option if the ISO doesn't qualify as authentic with the MS thumb loader.
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/
    There is also a link to the MS tool in the link.
    Actually, I was surprised how easy they made it. In the boot folder on the dvd there is the bootsect.exe file if I remember correctly.

You just need to run command prompt as administrator and do something like:

bootsect.exe /nt60 X:

where X: is your stick letter. That creates the boot sector. After that is just copying the files.

But all of this applies for windows. There are probably ways to do it in ubuntu, only not that easy.

Google around for "booting ISO file", etc. There are guides around.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Actually, I was surprised how easy they made it. In the boot folder on the dvd there is the bootsect.exe file if I remember correctly.

You just need to run command prompt as administrator and do something like:

bootsect.exe /nt60 X:

where X: is your stick letter. That creates the boot sector. After that is just copying the files.

But all of this applies for windows. There are probably ways to do it in ubuntu, only not that easy.

Google around for "booting ISO file", etc. There are guides around.
    When I downloaded the W7 purchase it was a upgrade that could be run live from XP but had to be a fresh install, this had the .exe file for installing. I also got the ISO that came with the thumbloader, I then purchased the DVD, and was sent 2 for the price of one.

I was just able to load a XP home slipped-streamed sp3 onto a thumb with the winloader in my last link. The XP ISO is from the manufacturer of my computer but this was the first time I got it to load and actually boot like a install, I didn't install as I have the OEM in the computer as of now.

I used the XP ISO burned to a cd to load the thumb though, winload couldn't see the ISO on XP's desktop, and I have tried in the past to load with the ISO and couldn't get it to load it to boot for a install, with this device.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; May 22nd, 2010 at 09:36 PM.