Thread: File Sharing Between Two Ubuntu Laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

File Sharing Between Two Ubuntu Laptops

Hi guys I have a Window XP Professional and two Laptops having Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition. I have created a folder in the home directory of both laptops and the Folders are shared on Desktop having Windows now I want the same folders to be shared by the laptops and visible on the network. How could I do this. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: File Sharing Between Two Ubuntu Laptops

For sharing between Ubuntu and Windows you must have samba installed.
    This link will help you: http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install...are-in-ubuntu/

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quick question-do you want the files to be synchronized between computers? If so, just setup Ubuntu One to automatically keep the contents of certain folders the same. Much easier than using Samba, which would make for a lengthy post. It works on Ubuntu and Windows, and you get 5 GB of storage space for free.
    If you just want to be able to access the contents of certain folders, but don't care if they are exactly the same or have nothing in common, you will need to use Samba.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Quick question-do you want the files to be synchronized between computers? If so, just setup Ubuntu One to automatically keep the contents of certain folders the same. Much easier than using Samba, which would make for a lengthy post. It works on Ubuntu and Windows, and you get 5 GB of storage space for free.
    If you just want to be able to access the contents of certain folders, but don't care if they are exactly the same or have nothing in common, you will need to use Samba.

+1
    this is what i do also, dropbox works well too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Uh, to clarify, were you asking how to share between Ubuntu and Windows or between the two Ubuntus?

EDIT: This thread here presents an interesting solution. Just open a terminal, use

Code:
    cd [PATH TO THE DIRECTORY YOU WANT TO SHARE]
    python -m SimpleHTTPServer
    Hopefully that's applicable in your case. There are actually a bunch of methods but that one seems relatively simple. Samba might be a more ideal solution though.

EDIT AGAIN: Link to a very detailed explanation of the Samba method if you choose to go that route.

EDIT YET AGAIN: And I see that GreatDanton already provided a link. Well, I'll leave that there just in case you should find it useful.
    Last edited by Dylan1473; August 5th, 2012 at 06:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i use ssh-server to transfer between my pc and my laptop which both run ubuntu

To install the OpenSSH server, you need the packages

openssh-server

sshfs

GNOME

Click File -> Connect to Server. Select SSH for Service Type, write the name or IP address of the computer you're connecting to in Server. Click Add Bookmark if you want to make the connection available later in the Places sidebar. There are options to login as a different User Name, on a different Port number, and use a different default Folder.
    Files can be copied by dragging and dropping between this window and other windows.
    Last edited by fractalman; August 5th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Totally 1 million% converted -

i'm sorry.......... Microwho?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nitroshare is another option.
    https://launchpad.net/nitroshare/