Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Sleep/Hibernate Bug on a LOT of laptops

Beans

Angry Lucid Sleep/Hibernate Bug on a LOT of laptops

Dear Ubuntu.

This is not a flame. It is a Dear John letter.

I have used Ubuntu on and off since forever ago. Usually quite pleasantly, at first. Then usually I get distro wanderlust and head off for another lover.

This time, I came back to you for Lucid. Our time together was so brief I can't even call it a fling. You installed fine and felt familiar. I wasn't sure about the whole interior design thing, kind of rearranged your living room with those window buttons on the left now. But it was okay, I didn't mind. And the purple? Well, it was a change.

But then I tried to close the lid and go to sleep with you and you really, really let me down. My fan just kept running and that cute little moon kept flashing. You left my screen all aglow.

So that's it. I'm leaving you. I'm through. These days, with laptops having a majority share of the market, there's just no excuse for a release with a show-stopping bug on my little Thinkpad. And from hundreds of posts I've found on forums around the internet, it seems you're doing the same thing to Dell and Toshibas. You obviously don't care for my feelings.

If you need me, I'll be at Debian's.

Beans

Re: Lucid Sleep/Hibernate Bug on a LOT of laptops

I have the same problem on my Dell Latitude D600 with 10.04. Suspend worked fine on Karmic. Then I upgraded to Lucid and suspend stopped working. It's particularly annoying since my wife will pick up my laptop to check her email. When she's done she closes the lid. It's pointless to tell (okay, ask) not to. That would be a criticism. But, that's for another post.

Anyway, when I next find my laptop the fan the lid is closed, the fan is running like mad, and it's disturbingly warm. Opening the lid for resume doesn't work, probably because suspend didn't work in the first place.

Manual suspend doesn't work either. If I select suspend from the shutdown menu, the screen will go black with the backlight remaining on and an underline cursor blinks in the upper left. But that's as far as it goes. I can get out of it with a ctrl-alt-f5 which will bring me to a command line prompt. From there I can do a sudo reboot.

Anybody have any ideas? I've found lots of posts related to failure-to-resume (though no fixes), but none related to failure to suspend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hufemj View Post
    I have the same problem on my Dell Latitude D600 with 10.04. Suspend worked fine on Karmic. Then I upgraded to Lucid and suspend stopped working. It's particularly annoying since my wife will pick up my laptop to check her email. When she's done she closes the lid. It's pointless to tell (okay, ask) not to. That would be a criticism. But, that's for another post.

Anyway, when I next find my laptop the fan the lid is closed, the fan is running like mad, and it's disturbingly warm. Opening the lid for resume doesn't work, probably because suspend didn't work in the first place.

Manual suspend doesn't work either. If I select suspend from the shutdown menu, the screen will go black with the backlight remaining on and an underline cursor blinks in the upper left. But that's as far as it goes. I can get out of it with a ctrl-alt-f5 which will bring me to a command line prompt. From there I can do a sudo reboot.

Anybody have any ideas? I've found lots of posts related to failure-to-resume (though no fixes), but none related to failure to suspend.
    My Toshiba L505D GS6000 has the same bug with hibernate too. Well it seems to power down the system but you can't wake it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My D600 has the exact same problem with Lucid. Worked on Karmic, not on Lucid. Funny thing, I was actually running a modded version of OS X 10.5.6, but switched back to Ubuntu because I missed sleep mode. Then I find out that, surprise!, there's been a regression, and Lucid no longer wakes from sleep on the D600.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Truly funny first post.

My sad story: I am a long time Ubuntu user/developer so I won't leave. My file/media server is running well with Lucid up-to-date. My workstation, an HP Pavilion Slimline s3100n that I got through an equipment swap, is running fine except for one issue:

• Suspend and hibernate work fine without any diagnostics.
    • Resume from either is impossible.

Sigh. This has happened so many times over the years with various types of hardware that its really annoying. Keep in mind, these comments are not a complaint about Ubuntu, the kernel, or anything else. As a developer, I know that it is difficult to stay current with a kernel on 1000s of motherboard chipsets.

I am not leaving, John! I shall continue my quest for a solution. Should I find one, I'll post it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

By default Lucid uses kernel mode setting (KMS) video driver for certain brands of cards, instead of the previous user space video modules.

Have any of you tried the nomodeset kernel boot parameter? My desktop had some rather slow video on its ATI X1300. Suspend seemed to shut off the hard drive, but blank video screen remained on (my HDTV did not say no signal) and power remained on. Hibernate would appear to save RAM to disk, but left everything powered up including the hard drive and blank video still on. The nomodeset parameter made video as responsive as 9.10, and fixed suspend/hibernate.

I had somewhat different occasional scrambled boot graphics hang with Radeon Mobility X1300 in a work Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop booted from USB hd. The nomodeset option seems to resolve that, but I don't recall if I tested suspend/hibernate on that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    By default Lucid uses kernel mode setting (KMS) video driver for certain brands of cards, instead of the previous user space video modules.

Have any of you tried the nomodeset kernel boot parameter? My desktop had some rather slow video on its ATI X1300. Suspend seemed to shut off the hard drive, but blank video screen remained on (my HDTV did not say no signal) and power remained on. Hibernate would appear to save RAM to disk, but left everything powered up including the hard drive and blank video still on. The nomodeset parameter made video as responsive as 9.10, and fixed suspend/hibernate.

I had somewhat different occasional scrambled boot graphics hang with Radeon Mobility X1300 in a work Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop booted from USB hd. The nomodeset option seems to resolve that, but I don't recall if I tested suspend/hibernate on that.
    Here's where it gets really frustrating. I've seen mention in lots of posts about nomodeset. I'd love to try it. But try and find information about how to set it!? This page doesn't mention it at all and it doesn't appear in the 'exhaustive list of kernel boot parameters':

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...Boot%20Options

I tried editing the kernel line in menu.lst (even though I'm running Lucid, it was through an upgrade and still have the old grub). But given that I don't see the exact syntax for nomodeset in any documentation anywhere, I can't be sure that I have it right. For example, is it that nomodeset is simply appended to the kernel line, or should it be modeset=0 or something else? How can I verify that I have it right?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hufemj View Post
    Here's where it gets really frustrating. I've seen mention in lots of posts about nomodeset. I'd love to try it. But try and find information about how to set it!? This page doesn't mention it at all and it doesn't appear in the 'exhaustive list of kernel boot parameters':

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...Boot%20Options

I tried editing the kernel line in menu.lst (even though I'm running Lucid, it was through an upgrade and still have the old grub). But given that I don't see the exact syntax for nomodeset in any documentation anywhere, I can't be sure that I have it right. For example, is it that nomodeset is simply appended to the kernel line, or should it be modeset=0 or something else? How can I verify that I have it right?

Thanks.
    Here's what I have in menu.lst:

title Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-22-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=23c90b06-db81-4cff-be57-565f0b39862f ro quiet splash nomodeset
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    quiet

If that's the way nomodeset is supposed to be set, then it's not solving the problem.

When I choose suspend, a password dialog box briefly appears but goes away before I can respond. It's replaced by a black backlit screen with a flashing underline cursor in the upper left. I can ctrl-alt-f5 to a command prompt and then reboot. This is on a Dell Latitude D600, upgraded to Lucid and now using the open source ATI drivers. With Karmic, I used the proprietary drivers and had no problem with suspend. If I try the proprietary drivers with Lucid, I get the ATI Control Center and ATI Administrative Control Center in System->Preferences, but neither of them work. Each fails with a message saying that either the driver isn't working or the adapter cannot be found. System->administration->hardware shows an empty list of proprietary drivers. I believe that fglrxinfo seg-faulted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On my Thinkpad R51 - 2887 suspend worked excellent on Lousy Lynx until a few days ago. Update Manager offered me regular updates, I installed them and since then, yes since then suspend doesn't work anymore. The moon is blinking and the fan is driving mad.

But no problem: as Lousy Lynx is of Jaguar Car quality I have two of them. One in the garage for maintenance (installation with updates on partition 2) and one to drive (installation without updates on partition 1).

Ceterum autem censeo, Fenestras esse delendas

Beans

I have similar problems. And I think I have isolated it.

Suspend/Resume works fine. However, if I close my laptop's screen (and then open it) during the suspend process or while the laptop is suspended it recovers to a blinking cursor.

This is weird - I have used gconf-editor to disable all operations on lid-close or lid-open and it still happens.

I can hit ctrl-alt-f4, enter my username and password and get a fully functional command prompt.

I tried top and found that all the various processes I have are still running.

I tried startx and it said that X was already running on display 0.

And suggestions? Even a way to start Gnome/X would we fine until a permanent fix is found...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast