Thread: Vulnerability question

Beans

Vulnerability question

Good day!
    I offer a solution to our clients that has a server with all connections facing Internet closed, so the server is secure (correct me if I'm wrong). Everything is allowed for the LAN clients. Is it possible for attacker to obtain control over a client (a Windows machine for instance) that is behind the firewall (my server) and then perform attack on the server from the inside?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by PryGuy; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Beans

Re: Vulnerability question

Anything is possible when you have Windows in the loop.

Under normal circumstances, with the Windows machines merely turned on but doing nothing, they would be quite safe. However, things start to unravel when the users make connections to external servers using their web browsers, music players, chat clients, VOIP clients, yadda, yadda, all of which can have security exploits.

Beans

Re: Vulnerability question

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    However, things start to unravel when the users make connections to external servers using their web browsers, music players, chat clients, VOIP clients, yadda, yadda, all of which can have security exploits.
    So this is possible in theory? If yes - how do I make server secure, if it's possible at all. It's a pain closing ports inside of the LAN actually...