Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Launcher for Steam?

Beans

Launcher for Steam?

I used to have a Steam launcher in my Wine menu, but it no longer worked after I experimented with running Steam under PlayOnLinux. I deleted the launcher, and am now unable to run Steam except by navigating to its executable manually in Nautilus. I want a launcher script to add to my main menu. Unforunately, whenever I create a Steam Menu under programs, the checkbox is unchecked, and does nothing. Steam does not appear after I have added it. Any help? Just giving me the launcher would be find, though I would like to have a Steam menu, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Launcher for Steam?

I can't offer you any advice with wine and steam but I thought I would let you know that there will be a Native Linux Steam by the end of Summer.
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans

Yes, I know. Isn't it great? I sent a letter of joy to Valve. I'm really happy about this. I can't WAIT to play Gmod again with my friends, finally have that Windows vs Linux feud with my Steam friend resolved, and be able to use the voice chat and even hear micspamming again! Gosh, after not using Windows for a year, I really miss micspamming.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Schwenker View Post
    Yes, I know. Isn't it great? I sent a letter of joy to Valve. I'm really happy about this. I can't WAIT to play Gmod again with my friends, finally have that Windows vs Linux feud with my Steam friend resolved, and be able to use the voice chat and even hear micspamming again! Gosh, after not using Windows for a year, I really miss micspamming.
    lol, Yeah dude im stoked about Steam coming to Linux finally I've just been a console gamer since I started using Linux but I would love to finally get back into PC games again Have you tried Alien Arena yet?
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A problem with launchers and most programs on wine is that they neglect to "cd" to the correct directory. I usually end up creating a shell script to do it, making it executable, and pointing the launcher to the shell script.
    My launcher for Portal on Steam looks like.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd "/home/david/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"
    env WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX="/home/david/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam" wine Steam.exe -applaunch 400 -dxlevel 81
    To just launch Steam alone, without running a game, you'd leave off the "-applaunch 400 -dxlevel 81". And you'd want to change the home directory to match yours. The "-dxlevel 81" was to fix some slowness I had, but it lowers the quality a bit. To launch a different game, change the 400 to whatever id goes with that game. I think gmod is 4000. A long list of ids is at http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...pplication_IDs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dtfinch View Post
    A problem with launchers and most programs on wine is that they neglect to "cd" to the correct directory. I usually end up creating a shell script to do it, making it executable, and pointing the launcher to the shell script.
    My launcher for Portal on Steam looks like.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd "/home/joseph/.wine/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"
    env WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX="/home/joseph/.wine/wineprefix/Steam" wine Steam.exe
    To just launch Steam alone, without running a game, you'd leave off the "-applaunch 400 -dxlevel 81". And you'd want to change the home directory to match yours. The "-dxlevel 81" was to fix some slowness I had, but it lowers the quality a bit. To launch a different game, change the 400 to whatever id goes with that game. I think gmod is 4000. A long list of ids is at http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...pplication_IDs
    Hmm... I modified your script and made the changes that you see above. I put it into a file in /home/joseph/Documents/Miscellaneous Text Files/Steam Launcher, and put an "sh" before that in the menu editor. Steam isn't launching, though. What should I put into the command field?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by -humanaut- View Post
    lol, Yeah dude im stoked about Steam coming to Linux finally I've just been a console gamer since I started using Linux but I would love to finally get back into PC games again Have you tried Alien Arena yet?
    No, I haven't. Does it have microphone support? Currently, Blood Frontier is my favorite Linux multiplayer game, and Penumbra is my favorite single player. World of Goo is good, too, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: Launcher for Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by -humanaut- View Post
    I can't offer you any advice with wine and steam but I thought I would let you know that there will be a Native Linux Steam by the end of Summer.
    Link? I've not seen anything official yet.

Beans

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...goes-live.html

"Valve has also confirmed that it will make Steam available to Linux users in the coming months."

Besides that, there is evidence everywhere, in the Mac Steam launcher, in the Left 4 Dead Demo files, etc. Steam IS coming to Linux. It's probable to the point that there's not much doubt. Valve has not posted it on their website yet, but it was confirmed somehow by Telegraph UK. In fact, something's been leaked or released, because Phoronix has screenshots of a partial UI rendering natively on Ubuntu. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...uncement&num=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you run the sh script from the terminal, do you get any errors? Did you mark it as executable in the properties/permissions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast