Thread: Unity Web Player - anyone got it working in WINE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Unity Web Player - anyone got it working in WINE?

http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

A weather site I use has a new Beta of "3D" NEXRAD, and I want to see if it's useful (as NWS Weather Spotter) or just a gimmick. I don't see a Linux version listed and want to know if anyone has had any experience with getting this to work in Ubuntu (Karmic and Lucid)

Thank you!

MRK
    Ubuntu 14.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM | Ubuntu 12.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
    Debian Jessie on EeePc 1005HAB

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity Web Player - anyone got it working in WINE?

About the only way I can see this possibly working would be if you install the Windows version of Firefox in Wine, then install the unity plug-in in that. Just installing the player in Wine without a Windows-based browser for it to work in would be useless.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Unity Web Player - anyone got it working in WINE?

Good suggestion. The only problem is that when i run the Unity installer via Wine (after instaling Windows Firefox version) I get an aborted installation and the following output:

Code:
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer
    Extract: UnityBugReporter.exe
    Extract: UnityWebPlayerUpdate.exe
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\mono\2.x.x
    Extract: mono-1-vc.dll
    Extract: info.plist
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\mono\2.x.x\Data\etc\mono\2.0
    Extract: machine.config
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\mono\2.x.x\Data\lib
    Extract: mscorlib.dll
    Extract: UnityDomainLoad.exe
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\player\2.x.x
    Extract: webplayer_win.dll... 100%
    Extract: wrap_oal.dll
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\player\2.x.x\Data
    Extract: unity default resources
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\player\2.x.x\Data\lib
    Extract: Boo.Lang.dll
    Extract: UnityScript.Lang.dll
    Extract: UnityEngine.dll
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\loader
    Extract: npUnity3D32.dll
    Extract: UnityWebPluginAX.ocx
    Output folder: C:\users\fernandes\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\loader
    From what I think, the last file failed do extract, am I right? How do I fix this?
    Hello everyone... Today I would like to talk to you about the mau5... The mau5 has two ears... One on the left, and one on the right... I do not know much more about the mau5. But I do know... that the mau5 sounds like THIS

Beans

How did you solve it?

Beans
    Distro

I gave up when I was told it's not possible as of now, but dang it, I didn't save the link or data... SORRY!
    Ubuntu 14.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM | Ubuntu 12.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if we're lucky google might get it ported to linux / chromeOS like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKaJ6jEPXGE
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How did This get marked solved? It is not. There is some potential here:

Go VOTE!:

http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/1...player-support

potential solution to get the win one working in chrome:

http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/

Beans
    Distro

I "solved" it because I was told it won't happen, but now, maybe, looks like someone has done it - partially...
    http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/1...player-support
    (same link as above)

"unsolved" until it is working well.

Beans

I really hope they do make a version for Ubuntu. There is a game I have my eye on, anyone will to send me a message if something happens?