Thread: Nokia N900 and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nokia N900 and Ubuntu

I got a Nokia N900 today and I'm trying to put music on it. When I plugged it into my Ubuntu 10.04 machine it did all sorts of magical things like decide it was a block device, decide it was a media player and I think it even decided that it was a network gateway. With basically no interaction on my part (Amazing!).

The problem is that in Rhythmbox, I can drag songs to the N900 device that it lists but, it doesn't actually put the songs on the device. Some basic googling hasn't shed any light on this.

So, my question is: How do I easily make music from my Ubuntu laptop appear on my N900?
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Nokia N900 and Ubuntu

Hey I get my n900 tomorrow. I'll look into it asap and let you know what my results are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Mine's Ultimate R View Post
    Hey I get my n900 tomorrow. I'll look into it asap and let you know what my results are.
    I managed to get it working using this: http://wiki.maemo.org/Getting_media_...to_your_tablet

That site in general is full of awesome information about using the N900.

Good luck and enjoy your N900!
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ok great! I will enjoy it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you N900 is detected on USB you're given the option to open with a default of Rhythmbox. Select "file System" as your opening method and you'll get your N900's external drive and the internal drive both mounted and open in Nautilus. My N810 has an internal drive but I'm not sure about the N900. You can then navigate to the folder you want and and drag & drop from or to Ubuntu. Any device which has separate storage is mountable as a storage device, e.g. PDA's, media players and cameras. On my N810 and I assume the N900 your default file storage is in main memory which isn't available over the USB because it's in use to run you N900.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog