Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a custom ubuntu ISO

Beans

Creating a custom ubuntu ISO

Hi,
    I want to create a custom ubuntu ISO (This ISO will contain all the packages with the latest updates released till date). How should I go about it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Creating a custom ubuntu ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just to let you know, the apt source mentioned in the article no longer works it is now this

Code:
    For Karmic, Lucid and Newer with grub2 - version 2.0.13-1 and up
    #  Remastersys
    deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository karmic/

Beans

Thanks for the replies. Rematersys is a cool tool but its not the way I am looking for creating the updated ISO.
    Can't I take the pristine ubuntu ISO, download the updates from some ubuntu update repositories, and re-create the ISO?

Beans

Hello,
    I tried to create an iso with remastersys and after burning it to a cd i was not able to boot it as a live distro...is anyone managed to do it?

Beans

To mailtome:

I'm guessing you are talking about downloading the whole repos, not necessarily installing them, and then backing that who thing up in some iso...is that right?

Warning though, it'll be around 40-60 GBs I believe.

Of course, if that isn't what you want, and you mean wanting something to basically back up a fresh install of an Ubuntu ISO, but with whatever updates and the few tweaks you may or may not include, then Remastersys is definitely the program to go.

To remys:

What exactly is your issue? Is it popping up an error and won't boot? Are you using the correct Remastersys version for your Ubuntu installation?

Oh, and you should definitely check out the Remastersys forum for help too if we can't resolve things for you. The guy that makes the program goes out of his way a lot with helping those that use his product. He's personally helped me with a few issues, one also being not able to boot into the live distro (as well as to install it).

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/forums/
    Last edited by inameiname; May 25th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.

Beans

Thanks for your quick reply.
    I get a can not find kernel error after burning the iso to a cd and try to boot it.
    I tried three options Backup/Dist/Distiso and none of these worked.

Thanks a lot for the link.I ll check it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by remys View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I get a can not find kernel error after burning the iso to a cd and try to boot it.
    I tried three options Backup/Dist/Distiso and none of these worked.

Thanks a lot for the link.I ll check it!
    I did 2 yesterday with no error, did you check the md5sums matched? How big were the iso's? Best as it says to close all other running apps and dont do anything while it's finished.

Beans

Yeah, I agree with philinux. Also, is your kernel the standard one or did you try upgrading or downloading it elsewhere? I know that can cause issues for most of us who aren't experts on such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mailtome View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Rematersys is a cool tool but its not the way I am looking for creating the updated ISO.
    Can't I take the pristine ubuntu ISO, download the updates from some ubuntu update repositories, and re-create the ISO?
    And what application are you going to use to recreate the ISO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast