Thread: Lenovo x100e won't boot (Network?)

Beans

Lenovo x100e won't boot (Network?)

Hey guys,

I just got a lenovo x100e and installed ubuntu on it with the usb-creator. Booting into the installer works fine, but when I actually try to boot it up after install it crashes/freezes. I think it's a kernel panic but I don't even know what logs to look at to see what's going on. I'm pretty sure that it's a network issue because when I booted it at work where I have no wifi it worked until I plugged into a wired socket. After that it immediately froze. Then at home where I have wifi all over the house I can't even got it to the login screen.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Lenovo x100e won't boot (Network?)

No one? No ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just tried to install Ubuntu and Fedora on my x100e. It keeps freezing for me too. Did you ever find a solution?
    Ubuntu 10.4

Beans

Hard to see whats wrong here . . . .two suggestions

One . . . look into your BIOS and make sure your boot device priority is set to boot into your dvd drive, AND your hard drive . . .

Two . . . If you do ever get the thing to boot successfully, edit (as root) the file /boot/grub/menu.lst look at your kernel entry and delete the word "splash" . . . your next bootup will then display the bootup feedback.

Mad partitioning schemes might make the thing unbootable. Mad BIOS settings can also be a problem eg turning off the Sata controller chip, albeit this is unlikely to be the case on a laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykenny View Post
    Hard to see whats wrong here . . . .two suggestions

One . . . look into your BIOS and make sure your boot device priority is set to boot into your dvd drive, AND your hard drive . . .

Two . . . If you do ever get the thing to boot successfully, edit (as root) the file /boot/grub/menu.lst look at your kernel entry and delete the word "splash" . . . your next bootup will then display the bootup feedback.

Mad partitioning schemes might make the thing unbootable. Mad BIOS settings can also be a problem eg turning off the Sata controller chip, albeit this is unlikely to be the case on a laptop.
    Thanks for the feedback. I found the bug report talking about how this happens to the x100e laptop when booting on battery power. Solution was to interrupt boot and set "radeon.modeset=0" in grub. I can't find the thread that solved it now. If I do, I'll edit the post and link it here.

How do I mark this as "Solved"?

Edit: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=x100e
    http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9210552
    Last edited by crunchfighter; July 25th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Ubuntu 10.4