Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    8

    ia32-libs or equivalent needed

    On 64-bit Lucid Ubuntu, I had to install the ia32-libs package before this would work. You may have already installed the 32-bit libraries for other reasons and would not encounter this problem. The telling thing was that the printer was not detected when using the GUI to add the printer, and running the printer detector by hand did not work:

    Code:
    $ /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijnet 
    bash: /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijnet: No such file or directory
    
    $ file /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijnet 
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijnet: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, stripped
    
    $ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    [...]
    
    $ # now it works
    $ /usr/lib/cups/backend/cnijnet 
    network cnijnet:/00-11-AB-EF-22-88 "Canon MX860 series" "Canon-MX860-series_00-11-AB-EF-22-88"

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    2

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Just a quick note to say that installing the MX860 drivers didn't work for me. I then tried the MX320 specific drivers with the USB unplugged using the same instructions. Then I plugged in the USB cable and the printer auto-configured and prints perfectly.

    I also downloaded the scangear drivers and used the same procedure to install the common and mx320 portions - but no joy, niether Simple Scan or XSane will recognize the scanner. Any ideas?

    Regards

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Eastern United States
    Beans
    396
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertOstlethwaite View Post
    Just a quick note to say that installing the MX860 drivers didn't work for me. I then tried the MX320 specific drivers with the USB unplugged using the same instructions. Then I plugged in the USB cable and the printer auto-configured and prints perfectly.

    I also downloaded the scangear drivers and used the same procedure to install the common and mx320 portions - but no joy, niether Simple Scan or XSane will recognize the scanner. Any ideas?

    Regards
    Take a look at my last post in this thread (from May 29, 2010). You might be able to get Xsane to work with your scanning following that procedure.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    2

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Hm... I was going to trying the MX drivers with my MP610... but hten you posted that link :*

    Problem is... every time I install it ... I seem to get broken dependencies...and I can't install anything after that because well i have broken packages >

    You think the MX drivers would work with the MP610? Maybe not specifically with the 610, but an MP build printer.. ?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Eastern United States
    Beans
    396
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Quote Originally Posted by sushiseru View Post
    Hm... I was going to trying the MX drivers with my MP610... but hten you posted that link :*

    Problem is... every time I install it ... I seem to get broken dependencies...and I can't install anything after that because well i have broken packages >

    You think the MX drivers would work with the MP610? Maybe not specifically with the 610, but an MP build printer.. ?
    Did you try the drivers found here:

    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010488.asp

    If you did, what broken dependencies do you have?
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, USA
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Just wanted to report full success using the original post. Running Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit), and successfully printed a test page to an MX860 wirelessly, never had to use a USB cable. The only change was the location of the printer setup GUI: System/Administration/Printing. The network printer option discovered the wireless MX860 after only a couple of seconds.

    Printer was wirelessly connected to a Cisco wireless router.

    Thanks!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    1

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Excellent thread and work; very helpful. I had explored the same about a year ago and the following has worked for me several times after performing clean Ubuntu installs including Ubuntu 10.10. I too have a Canon MX860 configured wirelessly. The procedure is similar to the original post, just slightly simpler:

    Go to the Canon site in Australia and download the Linux debian driver for the MX860. After unpackaging the compressed driver:
    1. First, install cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb

    2. Second, install cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb

    3. Restart Ubuntu

    4. System -> Adminstration -> Printing -> New
    It should search for and find the Canon- MX860 printer as a Network Printer with a device URI that looks like: cnijnet:/00-1E-8F-72-E6-2H
    Using the procedure above, both the printing and scanning functions work for me on the MX860.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Beans
    80

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    I got scanning working on my PIXMA MX330 as a regular user in Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit a couple of days ago. (I don't have this problem in 32-bit Ubuntu.) I'm also unable to fax via Ubuntu or Kubuntu with the MX330 via the fax printer; but of course, faxing works fine using the unit as one would a regular fax machine.

    First of all I had compiled the sane back-end as per the instructions here:

    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html

    The section "set non-root user permissions" from the linked page above gave me the clues I needed to get this working. The PIXMA scanning backend is accessed via udev in 64-bit Kubuntu (I would guess it's the same for Ubuntu as well.) I found a file named libsane.rules after compiling the sane back-end. I searched the file for MX330 and changed the mode from "0664" to "0666" and saved the file (as root) in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory as 70-libsane.rules. Then I re-booted and could scan as a normal user. I looked at the file and found an entry for the MX320 listed right above the entry for the MX330, so something like this might work for you as well. You might need to back-up and rename an existing xx-libsane.rules file before trying this; I didn't need to. I've attached an unedited copy of the file "libsane.rules" to this post.

    I gave just a quick summary of the steps I took, if you need more details read through the comments at the bottom of the linked web page above. Of course if you post questions here I'll help if I can.
    Thank you. I had the same scanning permission problem on Linux Mint 9 (aka Ubuntu Lucid) 32-bit and followed your instructions. Worked like a charm. Now I can scan to my heart's content.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    1

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    I got scanning working on my PIXMA MX330 as a regular user in Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit a couple of days ago. (I don't have this problem in 32-bit Ubuntu.) I'm also unable to fax via Ubuntu or Kubuntu with the MX330 via the fax printer; but of course, faxing works fine using the unit as one would a regular fax machine.

    First of all I had compiled the sane back-end as per the instructions here:

    http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html

    The section "set non-root user permissions" from the linked page above gave me the clues I needed to get this working. The PIXMA scanning backend is accessed via udev in 64-bit Kubuntu (I would guess it's the same for Ubuntu as well.) I found a file named libsane.rules after compiling the sane back-end. I searched the file for MX330 and changed the mode from "0664" to "0666" and saved the file (as root) in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory as 70-libsane.rules. Then I re-booted and could scan as a normal user. I looked at the file and found an entry for the MX320 listed right above the entry for the MX330, so something like this might work for you as well. You might need to back-up and rename an existing xx-libsane.rules file before trying this; I didn't need to. I've attached an unedited copy of the file "libsane.rules" to this post.

    I gave just a quick summary of the steps I took, if you need more details read through the comments at the bottom of the linked web page above. Of course if you post questions here I'll help if I can.
    Thanks for the link! I have an MX330 working for Printing(dscoggins post), and now Scanning! (klytu post) Thank you guys. I was going nuts and probably making mistakes out of frustration till I read this thread.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia (USA)
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

    I was able to install the ia32-libs and my Ubuntu 11.04 system recognized my MX-860 network printer. I printed the test page and have not had a chance to test other features yet.
    Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •