Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

Beans

Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

Canon MX320, MX330, MX860 printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit. I am sure Ubuntu Lucid is similar.

Once I upgraded to Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit I found that getting a Canon Pixma MX printer installed was not going to be easy. So I thought it help others if I posted my experience here. To pull this off you will need both the Debian package, (.deb), and the source package from either

Canon Europe:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010699.asp

Or

Canon Australia:
    http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services

NOTE: The only reason to get the source is to access the ppd files. They are in the Debian package but it is a lot more work to walk newbies through unpacking the .deb.

Since there are errors in the source code it makes impossible to compile a driver. Therefore, you will need to install the 32bit Debian package and force the architecture, then add the correct printer driver from the ppd file in the source package. While these instructions worked for me there are a few assumption I make which mat affect your outcome. My MX860 has a wireless network connection. In other words I have no idea if this will or will not work on a USB attached printer. (If someone would be kind enough to post back if they get that configuration working that would be cool.) The other assumption is that the general reader is relatively new to Lunix and the command line interface. The commands were cut and pasted from my working kconsole, so they should work for anyone.

Here we go:
    1.Download the source and .deb packages from the Canon site

2.Open a system console

3.cd into the directory which contain the Canon packages

4.Unpack Debian package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/install.sh
    5.Unpack source package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnbpname348.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cifmx320.conf
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnb_3480.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/libs_bin/
    …
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.c
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjcups.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/getipc.c
    6.Change to the “packages” directory of the Debian package – cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    7.Install the general driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
     package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-common.
    (Reading database ... 118452 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-common (from cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-common (3.10-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$
    8.Install the MX printer series driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    NOTE: The MX860 driver also works for the MX320 and MX330 printers
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-mx860series.
    (Reading database ... 118468 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-mx860series (from cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-mx860series (3.10-1) ...

/tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$
    9.You will complete the remainder of the Canon MX320 MX330 MX860 printer setup using the System Settings GUI:
    NOTE: these instructions may get a little tedious for those with more experience, but indulge me as I am writing to the “newby”
    9.1.Access “System Setting” – Kickoff/Applications/Settings/System Settings
    9.2.Access “Printer Configuration” at the bottom of the window in the “Computer Administration” group
    9.3.Select “Printer Configuration”
    9.4.Select “New Network Printer” under the heading “Add New Printer” – Your printer will show up in the box on the left and right. Be patient it will take a little time to locate the printer . . .
    9.5.Once the window returns, you will see something like this cnijnet:/00-00-85-F2-F2-E4 in the box under the “Enter Device URI”. Next select “Forward”
    9.6.In the next window change the selection from “Select printer from database” to “Provide PPD file” which is located at the bottom of the page
    9.7.Once selected the box under it will active, select the “Browse” button to the right of the active box
    9.8.In the pursuing window navigate to the “ppd” directory within the source package directory, in this example it's here: /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-source-3.10/ppd and click on the appropriate ppd file – canonmx320.ppd canonmx330.ppd or canonmx860.ppd, then choose “Open”
    9.9.Next select “Forward” and print a test page.

If it prints, crack open your favorite beverage and celebrate!

This How-To is adapted by me from http://blog.fitzer.org/linux/canon-p...nux-verwenden/ and translated from German to English by Google Chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by dscoggins View Post
    Canon MX320, MX330, MX860 printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit. I am sure Ubuntu Lucid is similar.

Once I upgraded to Lucid 10.04 AMD64 bit I found that getting a Canon Pixma MX printer installed was not going to be easy. So I thought it help others if I posted my experience here. To pull this off you will need both the Debian package, (.deb), and the source package from either

Canon Europe:
    http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010699.asp

Or

Canon Australia:
    http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services

NOTE: The only reason to get the source is to access the ppd files. They are in the Debian package but it is a lot more work to walk newbies through unpacking the .deb.

Since there are errors in the source code it makes impossible to compile a driver. Therefore, you will need to install the 32bit Debian package and force the architecture, then add the correct printer driver from the ppd file in the source package. While these instructions worked for me there are a few assumption I make which mat affect your outcome. My MX860 has a wireless network connection. In other words I have no idea if this will or will not work on a USB attached printer. (If someone would be kind enough to post back if they get that configuration working that would be cool.) The other assumption is that the general reader is relatively new to Lunix and the command line interface. The commands were cut and pasted from my working kconsole, so they should work for anyone.

Here we go:
    1.Download the source and .deb packages from the Canon site

2.Open a system console

3.cd into the directory which contain the Canon packages

4.Unpack Debian package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/install.sh
    5.Unpack source package – sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ sudo tar xzvf cnijfilter-source-3.10-1.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnbpname348.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cifmx320.conf
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/database/cnb_3480.tbl
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/348/libs_bin/
    …
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.c
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjutil.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/bjcups.h
    cnijfilter-source-3.10/cngpij/cngpij/getipc.c
    6.Change to the “packages” directory of the Debian package – cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer$ cd cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages
    7.Install the general driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-common.
    (Reading database ... 118452 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-common (from cnijfilter-common_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-common (3.10-1) ...

8.Install the MX printer series driver – sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    NOTE: The MX860 driver also works for the MX320 and MX330 printers
    Code:
    /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-mx860series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages$ sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package cnijfilter-mx860series.
    (Reading database ... 118468 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-mx860series (from cnijfilter-mx860series_3.10-1_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up cnijfilter-mx860series (3.10-1) ...

9.You will complete the remainder of the Canon MX320 MX330 MX860 printer setup using the System Settings GUI:
    NOTE: these instructions may get a little tedious for those with more experience, but indulge me as I am writing to the “newby”
    9.1.Access “System Setting” – Kickoff/Applications/Settings/System Settings
    9.2.Access “Printer Configuration” at the bottom of the window in the “Computer Administration” group
    9.3.Select “Printer Configuration”
    9.4.Select “New Network Printer” under the heading “Add New Printer” – Your printer will show up in the box on the left and right. Be patient it will take a little time to locate the printer . . .
    9.5.Once the window returns, you will see something like this cnijnet:/00-00-85-F2-F2-E4 in the box under the “Enter Device URI”. Next select “Forward”
    9.6.In the next window change the selection from “Select printer from database” to “Provide PPD file” which is located at the bottom of the page
    9.7.Once selected the box under it will active, select the “Browse” button to the right of the active box
    9.8.In the pursuing window navigate to the “ppd” directory within the source package directory, in this example it's here: /tmp/LinuxDrivers/Canon_Printer/cnijfilter-source-3.10/ppd and click on the appropriate ppd file – canonmx320.ppd canonmx330.ppd or canonmx860.ppd, then choose “Open”
    9.9.Next select “Forward” and print a test page.

If it prints, crack open your favorite beverage and celebrate!

This How-To is adapted by me from http://blog.fitzer.org/linux/canon-p...nux-verwenden/ and translated from German to English by Google Chrome.
    Nice post! I figured this out last March and was considering writing a How-To on it myself.

Did you compile the sane-backend for the scanner as well? I did that and got the scanner working on the PIXMA MX330 on Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit. It works well so far, but I can only scan as root. Just curious as to if you tried this and if you had the same issue.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

Beans

Talking Re: Canon MX printer installation on Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 AMD64

Thank you so much for this tutorial !

I'm happy to say that this works for MX320 series, connected via USB.

FYI, I'm running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64bit, on a HP DV6 series laptop, Intel core i7.

Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by klytu View Post
    Nice post! I figured this out last March and was considering writing a How-To on it myself.

Did you compile the sane-backend for the scanner as well? I did that and got the scanner working on the PIXMA MX330 on Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit. It works well so far, but I can only scan as root. Just curious as to if you tried this and if you had the same issue.

Good answers, thanks dscoggins & klytu.
    Just like klytu, neither scan/sane nor fax work for me & my Pixma MX320 all-in-one.
    Is this a Permissions issue (User Accounts)? To my User permissions I added lp, sane, fax, + a few other groups, no luck.
    Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The first 5 Ubuntus that I ever installed on 3 different machines with 3 different printers all showed the same initial result ... no printer installed. When I trid to install a printer a message told me that there were no manufacturer files available. This was all pretty confusing to me since I'd gotten used to Windows demanding manufacturer drivers for 99% of all hardware.
    It wasn't until I researched this issue further that I found out that the default recommended Ubuntu driver will almost always work. Perhaps not with all of the Windows based features, but working properly nonetheless.

Since then I've installed at least 8 different printers by 5 different manufacturers with the default Ubuntu recommendations, ranging from all in one devices to B&W lasers and color laser printers. Moral of the story ... go ahead and look for manufacturer printers/files when you first install Ubuntu and a printer, but if you can't find any try the default printer settings instead. You might just be surprised ....
    PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

Beans

That worked. Thank you for the tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Argonaut View Post
    Good answers, thanks dscoggins & klytu.
    Just like klytu, neither scan/sane nor fax work for me & my Pixma MX320 all-in-one.
    Is this a Permissions issue (User Accounts)? To my User permissions I added lp, sane, fax, + a few other groups, no luck.
    Suggestions?
    I got scanning working on my PIXMA MX330 as a regular user in Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit a couple of days ago. (I don't have this problem in 32-bit Ubuntu.) I'm also unable to fax via Ubuntu or Kubuntu with the MX330 via the fax printer; but of course, faxing works fine using the unit as one would a regular fax machine.

First of all I had compiled the sane back-end as per the instructions here:

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html

The section "set non-root user permissions" from the linked page above gave me the clues I needed to get this working. The PIXMA scanning backend is accessed via udev in 64-bit Kubuntu (I would guess it's the same for Ubuntu as well.) I found a file named libsane.rules after compiling the sane back-end. I searched the file for MX330 and changed the mode from "0664" to "0666" and saved the file (as root) in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory as 70-libsane.rules. Then I re-booted and could scan as a normal user. I looked at the file and found an entry for the MX320 listed right above the entry for the MX330, so something like this might work for you as well. You might need to back-up and rename an existing xx-libsane.rules file before trying this; I didn't need to. I've attached an unedited copy of the file "libsane.rules" to this post.

I gave just a quick summary of the steps I took, if you need more details read through the comments at the bottom of the linked web page above. Of course if you post questions here I'll help if I can.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by klytu; May 30th, 2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Noted that faxing through the computer did not work in Ubuntu or Kubuntu.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi. I am attempting to get my mx860 working on Ubuntu 10.04. I have followed the above directions and am using a USB connection. I can install the printer but when I try and print a test page I get "pstocanonij failed". Also I compiled the sane backend and cannot get my scanner to be seen either. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you. - Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My scanner is now working. I uninstalled the sane package that I had installed from the repo and recompiled the sane-backend. Now it works with xsane and simple scan. However I am still trying to get the printer working.

Beans

I just tried in my Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 with USB conection and it works for my MX320! But it was easier.
    Just follow the command line instructions given in the first post with the USB cable disconnected. Then, instead of going to the "printers configuration", just connect the USB cable and it should configure automatically

Thank you very much! And thank you for being newbie friendly
    Last edited by gengbinich; July 5th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast