Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: Funambol server on Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Funambol server on Ubuntu

@Mutrax, ok, however, Funambol is only a sync server, so only comparable to egroupware if you factor in clients such as PDAs, Evolution, Thunderbird etc.
    But I get your point: less hassle = better
    I'm looking at getting Sogo as groupware server, which syncs with Funambol as well, has a web interface, good Thunderbird/Lightning connectivity, and is collaborating with OpenChange to get native Outlook support going (Microsoft Exchange drop-in replacement).

@Planetom: if you don't know about SSL & Apache, I'd start in getting a regular website working with SSL and apache (first with the default, snakeoil cert, then with a self-signed cert). I presume Ubuntu documentation has enough info on getting a basic SSL site set up. If not, I'd file a bug with the docs guys and look for other documentation.
    Only if that works, move on to testing with Funambol.

You do have to understand a bit what you're doing so blindly copying instructions won't help much. I'd look for a tutorial that explains what's going on, and reading openssl/Apache/Ubuntu documentation until you understand a bit more why and how you are doing things.

As for the howto not being complete, sorry, but it cannot ever be complete for beginners: I'd have to go over Ubuntu install, apt-get/aptitude, Apache install, Postgresql install, self-signed or externally signed SSL certs etc.
    The possible variations/needed clarifications would be endless, so I decided to focus on the things that seemed obscure to me. SSL wasn't one of them.
    I understand your frustration though, had the same with Funambol initially, that's why I decided to write up my experiences.

Good luck & if you get it figured out, please feel free to make suggestions for improvement of the tutorial.

Beans

God helps those who help themselves.

Beans
    Hidden!

... and then help others, I hope.

I DID write a tutorial on Funambol for others to use, for free, out of the goodness of my heart. Do you know how many hours that cost, after spending all that time to read through the same kind of half-complete information you're struggling with?

If you get to the bottom of the SSL stuff, you're more than welcome to add information to it.

I'll leave it at that.

Good luck.

Beans

Maybe someone reads this although the thread is rather old.

I tried to install funambol 10.0.3 on Ubuntu 10.10 64Bit. Unfortunately when I try to start the server "cd /opt/Funambol/bin && sudo ./funambol start" nothing seems to happen. "sudo ps | grep funambol" does not show anything, the web interface can not be openend and the admin tool does not connect. There is no error message at all when trying to start the server.

I read that you might have to install ia32-sun-java6-bin but this did not work for me. any idea how I can find out why it does not start?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123