Thread: Serving Half-Life

Beans

Serving Half-Life

I've been serving up Half Life games for years on my Red Hat Linux servers without problems. One of my somewhat computer illiterate "friends" wanted me to install Half-Life dedicated server on his recently built SuSE 10 server. Unfortunately the half-life executable core dumps every time it tries to load. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu then pulled down the latest binary for Half-Life and it runs on Ubuntu but I cant get Ubuntu to open ports so gamers can connect. I tried interactive IPTables and Firestarter but I'm left with a dedicated server running but unable to connect. It is not my Linksys router either as I can not connect from my Windoze XP PC.

I've been Googling, searching Yahoo and Ubuntu for a week now but the only thing I've accomplished is getting secure shell to accept connections on the Ubuntu machnie.

Can someone please tell me how I can open a range of UDP ports to host a half-life dedicated server on Ubuntu (port 27015 - 27030)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Serving Half-Life

Firestarter just set for you iptables rules but you seems to need an advanced use of firewalling so i really advice you to set iptables rules yourself.
    Anyway the command to open port 27015 - 27030 in udp is :
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp --sport 27015:27030 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 27015:27030 -j ACCEPT

Beans

I had tried those before without success. I tried them again, still no joy.

I need to flush my IP Tables and start from scratch. I can't do that unfortunately for several hours as I'm compiling a custom kernel in a secure shell window, if I flush the tables I'll lose the session I'm generating the kernel in.

I installed Webmin to manage the iptables firewall but Ubuntu apparently stores the configuration in a location Webmin is unfamiliar with. I've created rules with Webmin, saved them then run iptables-restore <file from webmin> but that did not get gamers communicating with half-life either.

Where does Ubuntu keep the iptables rules it uses when the server boots up? Is there a configuration file I can modify to tell it to use different rules created by Webmin?

Beans

You have to create the config files and have the system look for the new file.

I use the following structure and file name then have the interfaces file call the custom file:

/etc/iptables_rules/custom

Check out:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IptablesHowTo

Happy Trails,
    Merize