Thread: Install from USB drive

Hybrid View

Beans

Install from USB drive

Hello, all.

I recently decided to install Ubuntu on a couple of computers without CD drives (netbooks), so I followed these instructions to create a bootable flash drive: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...-the-easy-way/

That worked fine for both netbooks. Now I'm trying to use the same flash drive on a desktop currently running Windows Vista, but get his message when I try to boot from the flash drive:

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

Out of curiosity, I tried to boot one of the netbooks from the flash drive again and that still works.

I'm thinking a BIOS setting, but I have no idea what. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Install from USB drive

Does the net book's bios use usb's as boot options? Usb's are a little trickey, Re check what you loaded on the usb drive .it might matter what kind of Usb drive you are using, brand I mean there not all the same . Scandisk's usb's some time don't work because they have their own filing system built in. might con fuse the booting process.

Beans

Yes, both netbooks boot from usb just fine. It's the desktop that doesn't want to.

It is, actually, a sandisk, but I removed the software that came on it.

After the error above, it leaves me at a "boot:" prompt. Is there anything that I could type there to help it find something?

Beans

Okay, I formatted and re-setup the flash drive from scratch. Same results on my desktop: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

But still works fine on the other computers (netbooks). Does anyone have any idea why my desktop won't boot from the flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried downloading unetbootin for windows and formatting the thumb on the vista computer.
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    format the thumb on the computer and load it on the computer and use the f12 or whatever key allows you to choose the boot from on the vista computer. I personally never change the boot order I just use the f12 option on my setups to choose the boot device.

Beans

Yes. That is exactly what I did.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bondo101 View Post
    Does the net book's bios use usb's as boot options? Usb's are a little trickey, Re check what you loaded on the usb drive .it might matter what kind of Usb drive you are using, brand I mean there not all the same . Scandisk's usb's some time don't work because they have their own filing system built in. might con fuse the booting process.
    OMG I love you!
    I have been trying to install 10.04 netbook edition on my Aspire One (came with Linpus Lite which i hated) for 2 straight days, then i came to this forum and saw your reply about trying a different usb stick, turns out that was the problem all along! I changed from a 2GB HP Flash drive to a Sahara one and Voila! worked like magic.
    I'm falling in love with my One all over again , registered just to thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running into a very similar problem. I've actually got two different USB keys of different makes (one with 10.04 Desktop and one with 10.04 Netbook Remix) that are proven to work in 5 other computers. I've been getting the exact same "no default or UI configuration directive found" with both keys on one unit that I'm trying to get Ubuntu on. I also followed the directions to create the USB key from within Ubuntu. When I boot with that key, I get this message:
    Code:
    SYSLINUX 3.63 Debian-2008-07-15 CBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
    boot:
    When I hit enter, it says: "could not find kernel image: linux"

So apparently, it's a similar error no matter how the USB booter is created. Any ideas? Since the USB keys have always worked well, I've never bothered to make an actual CD. I guess I'll try that, but I'd also really like to figure out why the heck the USB keys won't work with this one particularly stubborn unit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, the CD worked. I'm still quite confused about why the USB drives wouldn't work. Maybe the BIOS on the fairly old unit is just persnickety. Oh well...

Beans

just rename folder on flash drive: isolinux -> syslinux,
    this help me)