Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In 3 years desktops would be irrelevant?

Beans

Post In 3 years desktops would be irrelevant?

Google says that in 3 years desktops would be irrelevant:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...le-sales-chief

Do you think desktops really would be irrelevant? And if desktops would be irrelevant what would be the major appliance replacing it? Today desktop seems to be the major appliance. If it would be replaced by something else or many things what would be the major thing replacing desktop? Post your thoughts?

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: In 3 years desktops would be irrelevant?

He's a sales chief in Europe. And even though he has a responsibility spouting his mouth, I'm sure Google as a company does not share this view.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Doesnt he mean the OS? Google has said before that in a short amount of time all applications will in some way be server based... this sounds like that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think laptops and netbooks are becoming increasingly popular while desktops are slowly becomming less popular, but I really don't think desktops are going to go away any time soon.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Apparently, by the mid 1980's, we'll be able to have a completely paperless office. Amazing!

I'm always wary of predictions made by people who have a vested interest in the outcome they're predicting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Hi.

Google is correct half of the phrase I think.

They say that mobile devices will soon be the main source of information and entertainment, Correct! But these devices will be able to replace the desktop, Not Possible!

What do we prefer to read news, blogs, check mail etc? Mobile devices or desktops? Obviously desktops. Devices are used only when we are in a hurry or we don't have a desktop near around.

All that gaming stuff, DVD's, AVI's, Multimedia, can mobile devices handle those? Can the performance of mobile devices, netbooks and desktops be same? Never.

So what I think is "It is not possible". And there are many many many reasons that can easily be listed in favour of desktops.

Let's see what happens in three years

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

If he means the OS, insofar as everything will be shifted to the cloud, I think it's unlikely but not totally unreasonable. If he means, as the article says, that we'll all switch to mobile devices then I find that very unbelievable indeed.

Mobile devices are inherently limited so I highly doubt we'll see any sort of radical shift in favour of them. Perhaps the desktop will be replaced by other types of computer, like laptops, netbooks, tablets or even TVs etc. Mobile devices will, I think, simply refine and bolster their corner of the market.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The desktop as we have known is is no doubt dying.

Computing is now in my pocket, e.g. with the comfortable hardware keyboard on my N900 I now write posts to these very forums on the bus. (yes I am an addict.. one problem at the time)

The web is taking over big time and as a result delivering an easier and wider experience. I've been using GMail for years, yesterday I tried using Evolution and honestly the web experience was far nicer not to mention faster and had a lower overall system impact (thank you CPU hungry spamfilter and annoying filter based organization).

Likewise I found that more and more of my tasks have moved to the web, I haven't used a news reader app in ages since google reader is a much better fit an doesn't have to be installed with my preferences on which ever machine I sit down at.

I think 3 years might be a bit to quick for the desktop to die or at least for it to be buried. The trend is clear though, it is about delivering the web. There are still things a desktop application does best and likely always will do. E.g. I don't see myself removing Banshee anytime soon but I do also find myself thinking of media more and more as a service I expect to be there rather than an application. Never say never.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google believes that in three years or so desktops will give way to mobile as the primary screen from which most people will consume information and entertainment.
    Yes, I think it is quite possible in the consumer area. But I don't see how you can do work on anything other than a desktop/laptop.
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast