Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Monitor - Acer X223w Display (No-sleep!)

Beans

Re: External Monitor - Acer X223w Display (No-sleep!)

Is there a way I can try a different Acer monitor driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by A4orce84 View Post
    Is there a way I can try a different Acer monitor driver?
    Linux distributions have never used drivers for displays; X (first in XFree86, then X.org) used first settings in the respective configuration file (now /etc/X11/xorg.conf) then, if those were absent (some distributions, such as Fedora, no longer use this file at all) run an autodetection regime similar to that used by Windows (which, in only rare cases, normally doesn't use drivers for displays, either).

The default settings are passed to the OS in question via a VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association) standard method called EDID (Electronic Data Interchange for Displays). While it was originally developed for CRT displays for computers, it has spread far (and wide!) beyond that connection to make its way into home-entertainment devices in general; also, while EDID was originally analog in nature, it can also be sent digitally (digital-only connections, such as DVI-I and HDMI, remain capable of passing along EDID information). What EDID data 'buntu (or any OS that uses X) snags on bootup will be found in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, which makes this file important when it comes to troubleshooting display woes (the EDID data will be in roughly the middle of this log file, and will be in human-readable format). Because this is information that Windows does *not* capture in human-readable format, someone that dual-boots Linux with Windows can find out more (often from this one log file) than a strictly Windows user would.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been having a similar issue. Running HP2035 monitors (TwinView) connected with an nVidia Quadro FX 560 card. Found these lines in my Xorg log:
    (WW) Jun 07 07:15:15 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
    (WW) Jun 07 07:15:15 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1
    May be on to something here . . .

Beans

Anyone have any new updates? I would really prefer if my monitor went to sleep instead of displaying the screen saver all night. =)

Beans

bump

Beans

bump

same problem here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1402436
    with a little more technical detail and a workaround script which I haven't tried.

there's an official bug report that still hasn't been resolved: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/550054
    but evidently the script is supposed to work

cheers
    Last edited by adam2007; May 21st, 2011 at 06:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12