Thread: Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

Hi,

I have recently installed Kubuntu Lucid and all seems to be fine except for not being able to add Superkaramba widgets to my plasma desktop.

To add support for Superkaramba widgets, I installed plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba.
    Then, at the plasma desktop, installed the widget from a local SKZ file and once added to the desktop all that can be seen is the message "Could not create this object because: Could not find the package sk_28165-cm9 required by the graphic component CrystalMonitor 9" (in Spanish):

I have tried other widgets downloaded from kde-look.org with the same luck.

Also tried:

• When run from the command line (plasmoidviewer "CrystalMonitor 9"), the result is the same and some log info is displayed:
      QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No existe el fichero ó directorio
      QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/david/.config/ibus/bus
      Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
      plasmoidviewer(4209)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "" not found
      plasmoidviewer(4209)/kdecore (services) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "" not found
      plasmoidviewer(4209)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)
    • When run inside Superkaramba's desktop application, all widgets work fine, but they are not plasmoids and Superkaramba itself consumes quite a lot of CPU.

What am I missing?
    Can anyone provide any clues? Is this a bug?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

After digging a bit, I have managed to fix this issue (yes, I reckon this is a KDE bug).

So, first of all, it seems only SKZ (ZIP format) widgets are accepted by the Superkaramba plasma engine.
    In addition, to see them on plasmoidviewer, their name must be prefixed with sk_. If unsure, you can list all installed plasmoids with:
    Code:
    plasmapkg -l
    Anyway, the bug that prevents running these widgets on plasma is that the Superkaramba installer doesn't create the metadata.desktop file in the plasmoid's directory.
    Luckily, the fix is easy because the very same file is created in a different location:
    Code:
    cp ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/plasma-applet-sk_YOURWIDGET.desktop ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/sk_YOURWIDGET/metadata.desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

Thanks it worked for me

Beans

Re: Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

Wow topic about my plasmoid. : proud :

Btw ... If anyone (still) interested I'm developing new version, fully customizable via web interface.
    Last edited by mihas; June 8th, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Superkaramba widgets not working in Lucid

Hey mihas, that's great!

I found your Crystal Monitor 9 widget cool, stylish and compact, even though I had to tweak it a bit...

Anyway, thanks a lot and keep the good work!