Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FlashVideoReplacer: replace embedded flash videos with mplayer videos (low CPU usage)

I have released a Firefox extension, called FlashVideoReplacer, that automatically replaces embedded flash video object with video/mp4 or x-flv, allowing to watch flash streaming content with a less CPU intensive plugin.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161869/

Stay tuned!

Last edited by lovinglinux; December 25th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage

This will totally be a Flash Killer for me. Videos are the only thing I still use Flash for. I will be subscribed, thanks ^^.

Beans
    Distro

Re: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage

Version 1.0.0 is available for download at the extension site.

I have decided to release it sooner, without adding additional sites to the compatibility list, but you can request new sites to be included by voting on the extension site poll. If the site is not included in the poll, then please send me an e-mail or fill a feature request in the extension Bug Tracker or post here on this thread.

Any suggestions or comments will be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: FlashVideoReplacer: replace flash video player with mplayer plugin (low CPU usage

Congratulations, nice work! Your plugin works for the most part but there are a few issues. It seems to use gstreamer not mplayer??? Some youtube videos (crackle) will still use flash to play. I will post the link. It may be a better idea to default to low or medium instead of high. Once again, good job.

youtube crackle video examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/show?p=UMu1inydRWc
    Last edited by xzero1; May 21st, 2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: wrong link

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xzero1 View Post
    Congratulations, nice work! Your plugin works for the most part but there are a few issues. It seems to use gstreamer not mplayer???
    Thank you. What I meant by mplayer is the x-mplayer2 mime type file. If you are using a gstreamer based plugin (totem), then it will use gstreamer framework, but if you are using an mplayer based plugin (gecko-mediaplayer), then it will use mplayer framework. Windows users will use either windows media player or quicktime.

I would try to change the title of the thread.

Some youtube videos (crackle) will still use flash to play. I will post the link.
    If the extension cannot find a compatible x-mplayer2 file, it will fall back to flash. Nevertheless, some types of pages (for instance user channels) won't work. I will wait for the link (the one provided is broken) to check if it is a bug, a compatibility issue or simply the lack of suitable alternative videos.

It may be a better idea to default to low or medium instead of high. Once again, good job.
    You can change that in the extension preferences, in the cased of YouTube.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; May 21st, 2010 at 09:31 PM.

Beans

Sorry for the wrong link, it has been fixed. Crackle has its video site if that helps any http://www.crackle.com/

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the wrong link, it has been fixed. Crackle has its video site if that helps any http://www.crackle.com/
    Thanks. For now, the extension should work only with regular videos, not with featured channels like that. The main issue is that I need to see the video page code, in order to configure the extension to replace the video object based on the id and fetch the mp4 video link accordingly. If the site has different video content pages, with different object ID values or link authentication, then I need to write a new code to identify them separately.

I hope you understand the limitations I'm facing. I wish I could write an extension that would work on every site and every page, without needing to hack each code separately, but I don't have that skill yet.

Unfortunately, this is what I get when viewing that channel.

This video contains content from Sony Pictures Movies & Shows, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
    I have tried to access the content with a web proxy, but I haven't been successful so far. I don't want to use such resources, because I'm not sure that would be legal, even considering I'm not intending to watch or download the video.

I'm going to investigate if YouTube uses different code for each channel or not. If I can access a channel that is not blocked, then maybe I can write the necessary code for all of them.

Beans
    Distro

The first version of FlashVideoReplacer has been approved by Mozilla and is available through the Stable Channel now. New versions updates will be available through Firefox add-ons manager.

Beans

Youtube has various quality options, 480p, 720p. When high quality is selected in the addon menu, which quality am I getting? the highest availabe *p?

Beans

The plugin works fine on blip, but I can't get it to do anything whatsoever with Youtube at all. Youtube flash player still starts up and plays.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast