Thread: Software to edit .m4v (aka mp4) video, x264

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Software to edit .m4v (aka mp4) video, x264

Those handbrake guys are big apple fans I think.

Anyways is there any software, or a way to get avidemux to edit m4v Videos, encoded with x264 Video and AAC Audio?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Software to edit .m4v (aka mp4) video, x264

Between Video Converter and Cinelerra, I have not seen a video I couldn't edit. Some people dislike any program which has a multiple-window interface, which is the biggest criticism of Cinelerra -- but it's an excellent program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Avidemux can work with the mp4 container and aac audio just fine, but it tends to crash a lot when working with h.264 video. Also, even if it doesn't crash, it uses a "safe" mode that causes you to lose frame accuracy.

If you don't need to do anything fancy, Ubuntu's new default video editor, PiTiVi, can edit mp4 videos with h.264 video and aac audio just fine (assuming you have the appropriate codecs installed on your machine, of course). PiTiVi's a bit like Windows Movie Maker, though -- great for quick edits and splicing clips together, but not anything more advanced than that.

I haven't played around with Cinelerra much, but if you need to do some advanced editing, it's definitely a good place to start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for the recommendations, I actually tried Pitivi and couldn't figure out how to edit the file, I just tried it again and realized I just may be partially retarded.

I really only need to do some basic cutting. So I think Pitivi will fulfill my needs.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i'm not used with this kind of problem but if directly editing is too hard or impossible, maybe you can try to translate these formats

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I meant that I figured out why it wasn't working for me earlier (I didn't realize you have to drag your clips down to the timeline)

Doh!

Beans

If you want to perform a simple trim, then FFmpeg is well suited for this. The following example will just copy the audio and video streams, so there is no re-encoding.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 00:01:12.00 -i input.foo -acodec copy -vcodec copy -t 14 output.foo
    • -ss: time offset from beginning. The example will ignore the fist 1 minute and 12 seconds of the input. The example uses a hours:minutes:seconds.thousandths of seconds format. You can also use seconds as shown in -t.
    • -t: duration. The example will create a 14 second output.

The placement of -ss is important. Putting it before -i tells FFmpeg to "seek then decode", but may not be exactly frame-accurate, while placing -ss after -i will make FFmpeg decode until it reaches foo time and then start doing whatever you told it to do. Putting it before -i is usually faster, and if one placement doesn't work, then try the other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

>>>ffmpeg -ss 00:01:12.00 -i input.foo -acodec copy -vcodec copy -t 14 output.foo>>>
    Thanks. This worked for me. Just one question. How do I get ffmpeg to copy TWO audio tracks (if there are two)?
    It just seems to have ignored the second audio track.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.