Thread: Qs: MacOS file labels/colors, AppleWorks files, Creative webcam, Ubuntu filenames...

Beans

Question Can Ubuntu use file/folder 'labels' (item colors) from Mac OSX?

How to retain MacOS file/folder 'labels' (colors) in Ubuntu?

I've been using File/Labels on the Mac to categorize files and folders with a highlight color for years. An example:

MacOS item labels colors.jpg

When I brought a test folder of items (files and folders) over to the Ubuntu 10.04 PC for a test, none of the 'labels' (colors) are preserved: once transferred, the items are all plain. From what I can see, out of the box Ubuntu has no comparable labels/colors feature (excluding the assignable Properties/Emblems which isn't equivalent).

Is there some sort of extension or utility or method that I can use to make Ubuntu use (and retain) the MacOS 'label' (color) assignments *before* I bring my files over?

Thanks!
    Last edited by bc9; June 15th, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: ...edited to simplify original post.

Beans

Re: Qs: MacOS file labels/colors, AppleWorks files, Creative webcam, Ubuntu filenames

Guess I can take the lack of response as a 'no'. I've hunted around and seen others asking for this too. Seems like a worthwhile feature... asking recent Ubuntu converts coming over from MacOS to simply lose all the time and effort they've spent using file labels/colors to highlight and categorize files and folders seems a bit severe. Though I moved to Ubuntu several weeks ago, I *haven't* brought over all my data from the Mac as I'm unwilling to sacrifice all that sorting.

I *really* wish there were some way to retain/use the labels/colors. If it can't be done IN Ubuntu itself, and there's no third-party add-on to enable it, perhaps there's some alternative file browswer utility that might support this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans

Re: Qs: MacOS file labels/colors, AppleWorks files, Creative webcam, Ubuntu filenames

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately I agree "not possible" as its still in development I think

I can't find anything on using the Mac Color Label system in Ubuntu and believe me I've been searching because that is a cool idea! The closest thing I could suggest is the right-click and "emblem" which is nothing similar really. I hope they bring this in.

Beans

Yes, I agree: Ubuntu's 'emblems' (in 'properties') aren't really comparable: takes more steps to set them and isn't nearly as visible/easily identified as 'file labels' (colors) in Mac OS.

More to the point, ideally there'd be some way for Ubuntu to recognize and use *existing* 'file labels' set under MacOS ...I assume the 'label' (color identifier) is stored in a tag or in the object metadata or something (I'm not a programmer and it shows ). Because this isn't the case, I've been running my Ubuntu machine for months now WITHOUT most of my data: I was on Macs for 26 (!) years before recently switching to Linux... all my photos, MP3s, etc... are *already* color-coded by me using 'file labels' and I'm not ready to just give up on all that.

On the REMOTE chance that one of the several third-party file browsers available for Ubuntu MIGHT recognize the Mac 'file labels' I recently installed bsc, Gnome Commander, Krusader and Tux Commander. Unfortunately, when I opened a test folder made on/brought over from OSX, none of them 'see' the colors of the sample files.

It was a longshot, but worth a try.

PS (added Sept. 9 '10): I also tried XNC (X Northern Captain) and the PC Man file managers on the off-chance they might display Mac OSX 'labels/colors' properly, which of course they don't. That makes an even half-dozen alternate file managers I've tried.

PPS (added Oct. 27 '10): a MacOS file that has been 'file labeled' (color coded) that's copied to an Ubuntu system and then later returned to a MacOS system retains its color coding. I ran an AppleScript (another MacOS thing for which there seems to be no Ubuntu equivalent: a simple/flexible GUI-based programming environment for OS and application functions) to edit filenames on my Mac to include a keyword related to their color coding, so even though their color coding won't be visible once they're moved to my Ubuntu PC, at least I'll be able to search for them based on their now-invisible color codes. I'd still love to be able to see the OSX file labels/color codes in Ubuntu or course.
    Last edited by bc9; October 26th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.