Thread: base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr

Just before Ubuntu screen comes up, I get text message that says something about "base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr"

I just upgraded PC from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

What do I do to fix?

John

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr

A bios upgrade is very tricky imo. When is goes wrong it destroys and your system and your bios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cigtoxdoc View Post
    Just before Ubuntu screen comes up, I get text message that says something about "base address not set - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr=0xaddr"

I just upgraded PC from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

What do I do to fix?

John
    Does the system continue to boot into the Ubuntu Desktop?
    If so don't worry about it.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your reply. Yes system has always booted correctly, but sound is flaky. The original error message also includes via686a.

Streaming Internet radio will run for a few minutes, the CPU load will go to 100% and sound stops. Sound card is C-Media CMI8738.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cigtoxdoc View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Yes system has always booted correctly, but sound is flaky. The original error message also includes via686a.

Streaming Internet radio will run for a few minutes, the CPU load will go to 100% and sound stops. Sound card is C-Media CMI8738.

John
    I have no idea what kind of box (or how old) you are using but it's most likely a problem with Flash or Novell Moonlight if thats what you are using for the streaming audio.I had a big problem with cpu usage and the IcedTea Java plugin until I switched to the latest JRE from there site but I'm using the 64bit version of Lucid.They (and I quote) say that the IcedTea plugin has been fixed with Lucid.
    Last edited by Bobhuber; May 19th, 2010 at 02:08 AM.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans

I am completely new to (L)ubuntu. I have a Sager laptop (Intel P3) with an ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2X. I booted 10.10 and 11.04 from the live CD. In both cases I get the message "base address not set - upgrade bios or use force_addr=0xaddr". The desktop displays in pieces, with vertical overlays repeating parts of it, slightly different between the 2 versions. I am guessing that this is related to the error message? I am also guessing that "force_addr..." is a config entry, and that I cannot access it without an install? I would rather not mess with bios, unless it is the only solution. I went ahead with an install, since the laptop was pretty much useless with Windoze. I did not notice the message, but the display is the same.

Thanks in advance - Len

Beans
    Distro

All of above still begs the question what do I do to make force_addr=0xaddr .

Can someone provide step-by-step instructions?

Thank you,

John